New scope opinions

Hello

I'm new to the forum and i'm looking to get a new scope and don't know much if anything about where to start or what look for. I've hunted woods all my life and used a Remington .270 with a $200 range 9 power luepold with good success, however, I've recently had the opportunity to hunt Montana and took a nice mule deer with it, but have noticed the potential limitations of the smaller caliber. I plan go out west regularly now.I just purchased a 300 ultra mag that I intend to use as my primary long-term weapon. I'm pretty much looking for a scope that will last me a long time, be good in low light, and be effective in longer range situations (say up to 800 yds). I know practice is a key factor and I have an area to practice longer range shots. Basically I want to make a one time purchase $2000 ish cap. (I'm also willing to look at used scopes if necessary)

thanks

Good Afternoon! I too, am new to the forum and have some questions about scopes. Always been a Leupold user, with that said I'm open to now horizons. Had a custom 338 RUM Built and a 30-378 Wby want some ideas on new glass. Not really worried about the $$. Not really shooting steel, not to say I won't .. mostly hunting situations out to about 600-700 yards max.. hoping to hear from y'all!
TIA Sanford338

Hello

I'm new to the forum and i'm looking to get a new scope and don't know much if anything about where to start or what look for. I've hunted woods all my life and used a Remington .270 with a $200 range 9 power luepold with good success, however, I've recently had the opportunity to hunt Montana and took a nice mule deer with it, but have noticed the potential limitations of the smaller caliber. I plan go out west regularly now.I just purchased a 300 ultra mag that I intend to use as my primary long-term weapon. I'm pretty much looking for a scope that will last me a long time, be good in low light, and be effective in longer range situations (say up to 800 yds). I know practice is a key factor and I have an area to practice longer range shots. Basically I want to make a one time purchase $2000 ish cap. (I'm also willing to look at used scopes if necessary)

thanks
Hello

thanks
Leupold +1
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Huskemaw 5-20x50
Zeiss
Vortex 4-16x50
All are great! Have fun shopping! Call and talk to tech support with each one give them an opportunity to tell you why there scope! Then you decide. I have most of them!

Good Afternoon! I too, am new to the forum and have some questions about scopes. Always been a Leupold user, with that said I'm open to now horizons. Had a custom 338 RUM Built and a 30-378 Wby want some ideas on new glass. Not really worried about the $$. Not really shooting steel, not to say I won't .. mostly hunting situations out to about 600-700 yards max.. hoping to hear from y'all!
TIA Sanford338
Leupold is tough to beat on a hunting rifle because they are relatively lightweight. March also make a lightweight scope with an awesome magnification range. If you are talking about a range gun and and don't care about weight, I would look at the Vortex Razor gen II.

Leupold +1
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Huskemaw 5-20x50
Zeiss
Vortex 4-16x50
All are great! Have fun shopping! Call and talk to tech support with each one give them an opportunity to tell you why there scope! Then you decide. I have most of them!
Leupold is tough to beat on a hunting rifle because they are relatively lightweight. March also make a lightweight scope with an awesome magnification range. If you are talking about a range gun and and don't care about weight, I would look at the Vortex Razor gen II.
Thoughts on Steiner, Schmidt Bender, Swarovski? Are they mostly tactical type.. and long distance? In today's market most everyone has very good glass.. ‍♂️

Thoughts on Steiner, Schmidt Bender, Swarovski? Are they mostly tactical type.. and long distance? In today's market most everyone has very good glass.. ‍♂️
I haven't owned any of those, so I will have to defer to somebody that has...S&B and Swaro have awesome reputations, no idea about steiner.

After having a bad experience with Swarovski I wouldn't suggest that brand to anyone. I had a Nightforce 12-42X56. It was fantastic, but too heavy. I had a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 at the same time I had the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. As far as glass, how they came in on an optics chart at 127 yards, they were first 6500, second VX-6, and third z5. They all went down in the same minute when viewing deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods. The Leupold VX-5 3-15X56 lasted six minutes longer. The Swarovski 2.3-18X56 lasted another fourteen minutes. The Swarovski z6 5-30X50 was terrible and went out so early in the test I don't even remember it's time. The owner sold it right away.

I have over a hundred pages of comparing optics at the 127 yard optics chart. Most don't live up to the hype. This is only for comparing glass. Although the z5 erector failed twice. The second time Swarovski charged me $30 for something.

Leupold +1
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Huskemaw 5-20x50
Zeiss
Vortex 4-16x50
Thanks for the replies, Im looking forward to researching these.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.