new rifle/caliber

Nickwild

been thinking of upgrading to a better rifle and very possibly to a larger caliber

right now I have a ruger American in 6.5cm with a mag pull chassis. while I can't really complain about it, I'm thinking of spending some money on a better rifle made with tighter tolerances and better parts/materials, as well as a more suited caliber. I'm not in a position to buy multiple rifles so just one would have to suffice. I hunt part of the year and shoot the rest. as far as game, I hunt anywhere from coyote - deer, but would like to get into elk, as there's plenty of it where I am, besides its being probably one of the most iconic American big game animals.

as for caliber, I've grown fond of 6.5 cm but understand that it leaves much to be desired for big game. been considering .308-one of the 7mm cartridges. I'm not yet willing to go as big as 300 win mag just yet... also I just don't need to. I've also been thinking of staying within the .264 family and using the slightly larger 6.5 PRC.

and yes, I would be eventually RELOADING. any thought/ comments would be welcome - cheers!

Back in 1995 I built a 6.5x308. A few years later Rem brought it out as the 260 Rem. That rifle along with the then Barnes 120gr "X" bullet accounted for several elk. All one shot kills. I also now own a couple Savage rifles in 260 Rem. Again they have taken elk , cleanly , one shot kills with Barnes , & Hammer bullets. This past season I took my elk with my Savage 260 with a Badlands Precision, 125gr copper mono. One shot. Also have taken elk cleanly with the copper mono's & 264mag , 6.5x55, & 6.5x06. All elk were one shot kills. Different brass cases, same end result. I only have my many years of hunting experiences as shown, to rely on. For what it is worth to you. In my younger days I have used the .338 mag & 30 cal. mags. They all worked . As I got older I didn't care for the heavy recoil & found the 6.5's worked , dependably, also. Hope this may be of some assistance to you.

A just for fun gun or specific use/multi-use?
500 yards and under there's no need for a short mag or la mag unless you just want 1.
Past that distance then you might have the need/want for a larger case capacity cartridge.
So far I have 6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem, 264wm and a soon to build a 6.5prc.
All but the 264wm is in an AR10 platform.
I would've done either 6.5wsm or 6.5saum, but ammo and brass or dies were difficult to find.
Whatever you decide on make sure you can get all of what you need for reloading or in ammo before you decide!
It would suck on having the gun and no way to load it!
Truth be told I would rather have a 300rcm for the AR10. The capacity and velocity of the bullet weight range I would be using fits this cartridge fine.

What game, at what disctances? With modern bullet designs, the big magnums don't seem as popular, or as necessary these days.
thanks for getting back folks! game type is specifies above... coyote-deer sized. once in a while elk and bighorn sheep. nothing exotic. as for range... that's variable. the topographic here are massive hills with deep draws and variable tree cover

thanks for getting back folks! game type is specifies above... coyote-deer sized. once in a while elk and bighorn sheep. nothing exotic. as for range... that's variable. the topographic here are massive hills with deep draws and variable tree cover
Sounds perfect for a 6.5cm! Affordable to shoot, and won't beat you up doing it. I'd rather hunt with a guy who has a Ruger American 6.5cm with a thousand rounds down the barrel, than a guy who has a new magnum with a couple boxes through it!

been thinking of upgrading to a better rifle and very possibly to a larger caliber

right now I have a ruger American in 6.5cm with a mag pull chassis. while I can't really complain about it, I'm thinking of spending some money on a better rifle made with tighter tolerances and better parts/materials, as well as a more suited caliber. I'm not in a position to buy multiple rifles so just one would have to suffice. I hunt part of the year and shoot the rest. as far as game, I hunt anywhere from coyote - deer, but would like to get into elk, as there's plenty of it where I am, besides its being probably one of the most iconic American big game animals.

as for caliber, I've grown fond of 6.5 cm but understand that it leaves much to be desired for big game. been considering .308-one of the 7mm cartridges. I'm not yet willing to go as big as 300 win mag just yet... also I just don't need to. I've also been thinking of staying within the .264 family and using the slightly larger 6.5 PRC.

and yes, I would be eventually RELOADING. any thought/ comments would be welcome - cheers!

Based on your post, I think the 6.5PRC would be a good fit. Ordinarily, I'd be inclined to say that a step up would include a slightly larger case and an increase in bullet diameter. However, if you start reloading, it would be a big more convenient to have both of your cartridges using .264" bullets.

Good advice on getting a rifle chambered in round that you can find ammo until you jump into the reloading game. I'm partial to the 7mm/.284 pills. There are so many options available. I also agree with looking at Browning as they are offering great options in twist rates, barrel lengths, and price points. As an alternate strategy, you can start by jumping into reloading and then decide on your next rifle. Although this strategy will take you deep into a bottomless rabbit hole.

Good advice on getting a rifle chambered in round that you can find ammo until you jump into the reloading game. I'm partial to the 7mm/.284 pills. There are so many options available. I also agree with looking at Browning as they are offering great options in twist rates, barrel lengths, and price points. As an alternate strategy, you can start by jumping into reloading and then decide on your next rifle. Although this strategy will take you deep into a bottomless rabbit hole.
and what a rabbit hole...