New Rangefinder G7?

JGRJR

I have used an old Leica 1200 for a long time and have been considering a new rangefinder. I want a separate unit not combined with Binos. I do not shoot much over 800yds but would like capacity to over 1000. I have searched the archives.

Units to consider.

Leica 1600
Swaro 8x30 now discontinued.
G7

I have a couple questions. Is there anything new on the horizon? Maybe an update to the G7 or an update to the Leica. I have waited this long and could wait for an update.

Is the G7 worth the cost and size commitment?

Thanks

I have the G7 and can say it by far exceeds my expectations. I can leave my ballistics applications at home because i trust my G7 100%. You can program up to 5 different rifle/loads. I really like that I can actually hold the rangefinder and range out to 1300 yards without a tripod of course for precise ranges you would want to make sure it was on a tripod. I have hit trees out to 2200 yards. The ballistics program works out to 1400. The optical clarity is by far as clear as my Swarovski 15x56 binos.

Only thing that concerns me is the warranty. it is not a lifetime warranty and for paying that type of money i hope to god they will repair for free or next to free.

Is there any rumors of a new model of G7? Its been out for years...I actually suspect they are sitting on a new model, but wont release it until they actually have some competition. The Leica is not even close to it.

A Leica 1600, Kestrel and a $10 app will destroy a G7 for half the money and more range!

And take 10 times as long to get your dope. G7 is designed for hunting. Not for taking a shot at 1500 yards and have 15 minutes to think about it. Plus I don't think a 1600 will out range a g7

Could you provide some more information on this? I thought the G7 had a significant advantage in ranging more distant targets?

I get what you are saying about the comparison. If you add a Kestrel you get an important component of a solution for less total money.

G7 Pros
Quick custom solution without going to a ballistic App
Custom Load profiles
Quick Results-Maybe very important for hunting. You do not have to pull out a smart phone in a hunting situation.

G7 Cons
Size-Larger than 1600B
Still need to dope wind but can blutooth with a Kestral

1600B Pros
Size
Price

1600B Cons
Non Custom Profiles
Shorter ranging ability?

The g7 will give you a ballistics solution out to 1400 yards it also give you wind reading in 5mph steps (5, 10, 15, ect). The ranging capabilities will reach out to 2200 and probably further. I know this because mine has ranged out to 2200 and really have not tried any further as I don't need any info out past 1400 in reality. The 1600 only has ranging capabilities which is great if you have all the time in the world.

I had a bear last year before I got my g7. I had only enough time to set up range the bear get behind the gun and as I was typing in all the crap to my ballistics app well the bear topped over the hill never to be seen again. He was 765 yards and if only if I had the g7 I could have had time to shoot. That senerio is what prompt me to get the g7 as I knew it would handle what I needed.

So if you want a fast ballistics solution that is CORRECT 100% of the time out to 1400 yards then the g7 is your baby. The size is not bad at all. I wear mine around my neck all the time and it is never in my way.

G7's fine if that's what you want. I do not dislike them at all. They will work fine for what you asked in your op. But after field testing and ranging of live game and stationary targets along side a RF with a smaller beam divergence I watched the G7 fail more than once supplying a distance reading. I decided to stay with the range finder and app. method and sold my G7. You really need the Kestrel anyway unless you are going to guess the wind speed. My app will be ready and waiting on the first page that comes up when I hit one button. I will already have the Baro and temp updated just waiting for a range and wind. I can do that just as fast as I can scroll back and forth through a G7 wind dope chart while looking through the unit pushing buttons. Then doing the math for a 1/4 value wind that is between the 5 mph increments in the G7. Also deciding if I need the "Near Far mode" changed or comparing both to see if the distance agrees. By this time I will have exact wind values entered in the app and have a dead nutz solution.

To each his own and the G7 is a cool tool. But I don't buy into the "faster less equipment" statements.

I do consider myself a "hunter" my tags get filled. I gut well over a dozen elk a year. My G7 was sold and I still have a PLRF10. My back up unit is a Leica 1600 I bought used for $500

Which ever way you decide to go. Do your own research and seek the truth not hype. Also consider fast shots at long range can possibly lead to a bad day. Not always but the odds are increased. Probably where the term " A slow hit is better than a fast miss" came from.

Good Luck

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.