New Mexico guided cow hunt in December, what type of camo, gear etc?

soflarick

First elk hunt. Spent time as a youth going for whitetail and small game in the northeast. I have an old woodland camo coverall that still fits. Otherwise, I'd like to know what kind of camo may be used in northern NM during the end of November through beginning of December. I used ASAT when I bowhunted, but that was quite some time ago. I'd prefer a camo that I can use in multiple locations. I looked at Sitka, but appears I'd have to purchase numerous outfits to work in different terrain and seasons. I'm leaning toward ASAT again. I was told to expect temps in the 20s to low 30s. Warm undergarments I have; layered camo gear I do not.

Or look into kuiu I think the vias would be a good all round good Camo for you. I would look at the axis hybrid jacket and the axis hybrid or talus hybrid pants I think that would be a good combo. I don't think Camo has to look good to the human eye to work. Just blocks or shapes of different earth tones will help broke up your outline.

For winter cow elk hunt I would wear clothing based on staying warm and comfortable and not worry about camo as long as you don't wear blue (they can distinguish blue I'm told) . I don't know about others but I've never had issue shooting winter elk wearing my Carrhart. JMHO

Funny you said Carhartt. After realizing the cost would be unreasonable for one hunt, I decided to use my Carhartt brown bib overalls and coat. I have good boots, socks, undergarments. I will need to find a good pair of gloves.

Those overalls kept me warm in negative *F temps.

Rifle hunt?

Put on good base layers (not cotton) and wear other stuff above that to keep warm. If it is a rifle hunt you shouldn't need crazy camo. Say warm, and keep the wind right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.