New Member looking to get into the sport

Did you say which one was your favorite? lol

EDIT: You did lol. 7mm
7mm STW to be specific.

It's just a laser beam to 600yds and capable well beyond a 1000yds for deer sized game.

I've got a buddy that's shot the 7mm Rem mag since it first came out that has a couple of hundred deer and at least 30 Elk kills beyond 600yds with it and loaded right, in the right rig the STW adds 150-200fps to the 7mm rm's velocity.

Welcome A04Goat!

I disagree about the 300 win mag being a good choice for a guy whose got little experience with rifles, and none to speak of in the past 15 years. That caliber can, and does, bring 200 lb grown men to tears. Adding a muzzle break will reduce the felt recoil, but there are still better choices than the 300 win mag.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is a good choice ballistically and generates about as much felt recoil as the 30-06, which is FAR less than that generated by the 300 win mag. That said, with heavier grain bullets, the 30-06 can reach as far as the 300 win mag and be just as deadly out to 1000 meters. The 30-06 is a VERY versatile caliber and you can work your way up from practicing with 150 grain rounds with very, very little recoil as you develop the fundamentals of precision marksmanship, then use the same rifle to shoot 220 grain bullets to take CXP-3 game out to 1000 yards.

Still, the 7mm Remington Magnum will do all the 30-06 will (and then some) out to 1200 yards. Plus, it shoots flatter trajectories overall, while delivering FAR less recoil than the 300 win mag to accomplish the same tasks.

I have not made a purchase yet guys, im actually incredibly torn now and have been for a few weeks.

You guys and your 7mm lol have got me looking at them alot.

I have to make a purchase this weekend though, my boss is wanting to plan a trip soon to go shooting.

I may end up flipping a darn quarter on this one lol

Well, i went to the local store tonight and tried to place an order for the

Remington 700 LR in 7mm rem mag.

They had in their data base, but non available for order and none of their warehouses had it either.

I tried to order it off Cabelas online, cant.

Im going to the Indy Gun and Knife show in the morning, maybe i'll get lucky.

The reason i was wanting that particular gun, Bell and Carlson stock, and heavy barrel out of the box. Just made sense.

I'll have to do some research to see if i can get that heavy barrel in some other fashion and just add furniture later...

im open to other actions i suppose, just liked the idea of that rifle being basically what i want and ready for a few small upgrades and good optics....

Well, i went to the local store tonight and tried to place an order for the

Remington 700 LR in 7mm rem mag.

They had in their data base, but non available for order and none of their warehouses had it either.

I tried to order it off Cabelas online, cant.

Im going to the Indy Gun and Knife show in the morning, maybe i'll get lucky.

The reason i was wanting that particular gun, Bell and Carlson stock, and heavy barrel out of the box. Just made sense.

I'll have to do some research to see if i can get that heavy barrel in some other fashion and just add furniture later...

im open to other actions i suppose, just liked the idea of that rifle being basically what i want and ready for a few small upgrades and good optics....
Check the first couple of pages of the classifieds here at LRH. I saw one sendero 7mm Rem mag and there's bee a couple in 300wm listed over the last couple of weeks.

Thank you sir. I'll give that a look.

Littler upate on the gun/knife show.

I spend a few hours walking around and looking at ever single rifle i could.

I found 2 -7mm Rem Mags and 2 -.300 win mags in the entire place!

only one of which caught my eye, it was a savage 112 in 7mm rem mag with stainless barrel 26" heavy. good looking gun, but my phone was being a jerk and i simply couldnt come up with any concrete data on it, as im still very new to this, i had no idea about that rifle. They wanted 550 for it.

Well all,

I have placed an order for my rifle and supporting parts.

I did end up with the Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. Also ordered a pictanny rail, scope rings (with the help of brownells) and an swfa in 12x42 to start off. Still need to order a bi-pod but i can find one local im sure.

The boss and i are already planning a trip up to youngs long shot to break it in. Hopefully in the next month, we are talking end of february if they are open.

I'll post up some pics when i get it here, probably be next week before all parts are here.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

Any recomendations on box ammo to start off with?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.