New Member looking to get into the sport

I concur with Wildrose. A 300 win mag in either a sendero or laredo... And please consider a muzzle brake so as not to develop poor shooting habits. Flinching makes those 1k shoots even more difficult gun)----------------------:D

Thanks guys!

I have def been considering the 300win mag. See alot of vids and seems to be a lot of good info on loads and such.

Guess i can begin my search. thanks again!

Looks like the Sendero and Laredo are def options here. Would leave a lot of cash in the budget for glass.

Best of luck A04... Really looking forward to seeing some pictures of you shooting out at distance once you get it all together. I used to live in Fort Wayne years ago, my 15 year old son was born in Decatur. I ended up selling all my long guns due to the short range only hunting at the time.

Glad to hear that you have a place to shoot and hoping you really enjoy it.

Last edited:
quick question.

As i continue my research, i do this too much, but lets compare the 7mm rem mag to the 300 win mag.

Seems like the 7mm rem mag as more energy at 1000 meters and a higher BC. This is new to me, as of tonight, but the post on the first page by that guy suggesting i look at the 7mm stuff got me thinking. the "starter" rifle i think i've landed on now, the Remington 700 Long Range, comes in all the cartridges i've considered.

I think i might be leaning toward the 7mm rem mag unless some experienced folks think its a bad idea, keep in mind, i have the ability to reload ammo as needed and try different things.

quick question.

As i continue my research, i do this too much, but lets compare the 7mm rem mag to the 300 win mag.

Seems like the 7mm rem mag as more energy at 1000 meters and a higher BC. This is new to me, as of tonight, but the post on the first page by that guy suggesting i look at the 7mm stuff got me thinking. the "starter" rifle i think i've landed on now, the Remington 700 Long Range, comes in all the cartridges i've considered.

I think i might be leaning toward the 7mm rem mag unless some experienced folks think its a bad idea, keep in mind, i have the ability to reload ammo as needed and try different things.
Goat I'm not sure what you are reading but it's wrong.

IF you are comparing bullets of the same weight in the different calibers that's correct but the .30cal's of the same type but heavier will have much higher BC's and down range energy.

I'm a complete nut for the 7's and 6.5's but the 30's definitely beat them for long range ballistics.

Goat I'm not sure what you are reading but it's wrong.

IF you are comparing bullets of the same weight in the different calibers that's correct but the .30cal's of the same type but heavier will have much higher BC's and down range energy.

I'm a complete nut for the 7's and 6.5's but the 30's definitely beat them for long range ballistics.

+1!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 20
Thanks gents. I was looking at some chart someone had made with all kinds of different rounds on it, energy in ft/lbs, BC, and something else, at 500/1000/1500meters.

I think i was watching it in a video on youtube or something, had a few drinks last night lol.

Thanks gents. I was looking at some chart someone had made with all kinds of different rounds on it, energy in ft/lbs, BC, and something else, at 500/1000/1500meters.

I think i was watching it in a video on youtube or something, had a few drinks last night lol.
The internet is filled with information today. Unfortunately a lot of what is written as absolute fact is written by people that really don't have a clue particularly when it comes to firearms, ammo, and ballistics.

The internet is filled with information today. Unfortunately a lot of what is written as absolute fact is written by people that really don't have a clue particularly when it comes to firearms, ammo, and ballistics.

I head that, we get that stuff alot when it comes to going fast as well.

As far as my choice is concerned, im going to stay the course with the 300win, just seems like its too right of a choice for me and my goals and maybe even beyond should the opportunity present itself.

As far as my choice is concerned, im going to stay the course with the 300win, just seems like its too right of a choice for me and my goals and maybe even beyond should the opportunity present itself.

Excellent choice! With a good muzzle brake launching 210, 215, or 230 Berger VLDs, you're golden.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I head that, we get that stuff alot when it comes to going fast as well.

It's not my favorite caliber, the 7mm STW is but as I've often said, "The 300wm is never the wrong choice". That's why I have three of them HA!

It's the Toyota Land Cruiser of magnum cartridges and the list of things you can't do well with it is a whole lot shorter than the list of things you can.

I came across a couple of Winchester Laredos on Gunbroker last week, see if they are still around.

I checked that out, found a couple. Im leaning more toward the Rem700 Long Range

How far do you think the 300 would be affective for taking down game? deer sized

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.