New member from northern Finland

n0r0ttaja

Hello to all members!

I'm from Rovaniemi, Finland.
I found this site at christman holidays, when I searched info about 338 win mag hunting bullets and reloading specs for my new rifle. From your forum I did found it alot and I appraise it!

I'm rifle hunting mostly moose, with Tikka 308win and now also Sako 338wm. Also have training rifle Sako quad (22LR, 22WMR, 17HMR). Old builded 7,62x53R rifle is at sale.. Also hunting small game and varmint.
From this forum i'm getting interest to try out LR shooting! But have to make own range, because ranges in here are mostly 150 m, one 300 m...
Have to try out this new 338wm and if there is potential, I have to think some LR scopes... allready read some posts on those too!

My other hobbies are... sometimes woodwork's, winter snowmobiling and ice fishing, summer earlier fly-fishing but now mostly boat fishing.

Thank's to you all from great forum and knowledge posts!

I think you will find 500m to be easy. Wind is the one thing that it seems most difficult to make a good decision on. Measuring the wind where one is standing is one thing, but what about the wind at the highest point of the bullets trajectory ? Or the wind at the distant target ? That requires a lot of experience in the area you are hunting in, with wind meter in hand....

Kiitos!

I have found lot of interesting info for 338wm.
And I started to search scope that I could try out at least 500m.

Sweet, you planning to hunt moose?

I went to Rovaniemi a few times. Visited the Joulupukki and of course had to stop at the Marttiini shop, I've got 3 and counting! :D

Onpa Suomi hieno maa.

Yes, Moose mainly, but not from LR distances at least for now... moose hunt is group hunt here and need to get good meat from it.. so I have to be sure for accuracy. So first I practice for it and maby shoot some fox to be sure about my shooting long distance. Then maby for moose and probably when hunting alone.

That Lappi sickness is bad thing... You come ones, then you have to come over and over again, and then you move up here!

I also have marttiini's puukkoja: about 45 smaller (old ilves puukko) and about 15 leuku. Have to get all the old ones.. That is also some kind of sickness..?
Allways carrying leuku and smaller puukko at belt.:cool: That's one cool Lappi thing...

Yes, exactly!

So if you're not from Rovaniemi then what city are you from originally?

I lived in Finland for 2 years. Lived in Helsinki (Espoo & Marjaniemi) and Tampere. Traveled all over though... Turku, Oulu, Kokkola, Pori, Vaasa, Kuopio, Savonlinna, Jyvaskyla, Rovaniemi, Kemi...

Beautiful places, good people.

I'm From Rovaniemi, but I have been around Finland for 6-7 years folloing work... now 8 years back here.
It felt allways that had to get back north! It takes little time to sedle back to this slower and happier rhytm of life...
At Rovaniemi height winter is little late, only about 40 cm snow and zero celsius.. Not fun to hunt. Soon gonna go up north to fish some brown trout!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.