New Member from Colorado

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Sagebrush, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sagebrush

Sagebrush New Member

I grew up in Oklahoma drooling over Outdoor Life and Field & Stream. Moved to Colorado (still here) in 1960 & my first mulie buck fell to a borrowed .257 Roberts that year. I have been hunting, shooting, and handloading ever since - although with bad knees my hunting days are about over. I can still punch paper though! I have been through many, many bolt guns and calibers over the years, but the '06 is still my favorite. I have taken my fair share of big game at what I consider long range - 300 to 400 yards. And now - I am considering a rifle on the AR platform. So - looking for a review on a DPMS LR260 led me here (great review on this site). Looks like I can take care of my .260 itch and an AR at the same time. Never joined any kind of forum before - but thought I would give it a try.

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

:)Welcome to LRH ....... I have hunted colorado only twice but I long for the chance to make it back . We hunted near steam boat springs . Are you familiar with this area ?

Tons of info. on this site

Bigbuck

3. Sagebrush

Sagebrush New Member

Yessir Bigbuck. I have hunted and fished all over Northwest Colorado. Lived in the area a couple of times over the years. Very familiar with the Elk River area north of Steamboat. Don't get me started on how it "used to be"! :)

4. bigbuck

Sagebrush,

It has been 11 years since i've been out to steam boat springs Colorado to hunt . we used to hunt Sheep Herder MTN . In fact I let a nice muley get away from me there . we ususally had good luck with elk in that area. have you ever hunted sheep herder before ? and is the elk population still okay ? Are there any wolves in your area I keep hearing alot about the wolves damaging the elk herds in MT & WY

Sorry for so many questions I've just wondered about this part of colorado.

Thanks,
    Bigbuck

5. Sagebrush

Sagebrush New Member

Bigbuck - As far as wolves in Colorado goes - there might be one or two sneaking around somewhere - but they certainly aren't here in numbers enough to hurt the largest Elk population in the US. I am familiar with a Sheep Mtn - nearly in Wyoming - North and slightly east of Bears Ears - but don't know anything about the current hunting situation in that area. Maybe there is a Sheep Herder Mtn in the vicinity I don't remember. Anyway - lots of elk and no wolf issues in Colorado. You certainly wouldn't be wrong to come back to Colorado to hunt elk - but I think the deer population, although recovering, is still pretty stressed.

Sagebrush

6. bigbuck

Thanks for the info. and have a great day.

Bigbuck

7. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.