NEW McMmillan game warden MAX

Alex Wheeler

The game warden is one of my favorite stocks but I wanted a higher comb. I asked Kelly McMillan if he would make a version with a maximum height comb. And he did. I get to play with them all and this is my favorite so far. Pictured is the game warden Max in olive, The game hunter in olive and black speck, and the A3 in forest marble.
20200228_142117.jpg
20200228_142008.jpg
20200228_141918.jpg
20200228_141858.jpg
20200228_141823.jpg
20200228_134554.jpg
20200228_141657.jpg

Last edited:
Die hard McMillan fan (M40A1), but the comb height has always been a problem for me without and adjustable cheek. Hopefully this will create a need and drive production of some more like this.

Good call Alex...

The game warden is one of my favorite stocks but I wanted a higher comb. I asked Kelly McMillan if he would make a version with a maximum height comb. And he did. I get to play with them all and this is my favorite so far. Pictured is the game warden Max in olive, The game hunter in olive and black speck, and the A3 in forest marble.
View attachment 178603View attachment 178604View attachment 178605View attachment 178606View attachment 178607View attachment 178608View attachment 178609
I really like that Max version. Is that 1lb 15oz ?

Funny timing, @bigngreen was just over today checking out this stock.
Yes, the way I ordered this one came in at about 31oz. Anyone can order these from McMillan. If your trying to get them light, go with a painted finish. The gelcoats adds 4-5oz.
Guys get WAY too caught up with comb height in my opinion. I know its a personal preference, but mine is to have the comb high enough to give me a touch to help quickly position my head, but not so high or wide I start to put actual pressure on the stock that will degrade accuracy. Unless you have a condition which prohibits you from holding your head up for long, you will shoot better with less of you on the gun. I have used just about every stock on the market, this ones my personal favorite so far for this use.
At any point in time, I have almost every hunting stock on the market in the shop from McMillan and a couple from Manners. And I have owned rifles built on most of them at one point or another. I have gotten really picky about how I want a stock to be designed for its intended application. I just finished one on the Manners UC stock, and its the best in its class. Rifle came in a 4lb 14oz., really like that stock for an ultralight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.