New Hornady 6.5 PRC

During the 60's, Norma released .308 & .358 Norma Mag brass to the American market, even though no American manufacturer chambered rifles n those 2 calibres.

Maybe Hornady will follow suite, just offering 6.5mm GAP 4S brass, since the 6.5PRC is pretty close to 6.5mm SAUM in performance.

During the 60's, Norma released .308 & .358 Norma Mag brass to the American market, even though no American manufacturer chambered rifles n those 2 calibres.

Maybe Hornady will follow suite, just offering 6.5mm GAP 4S brass, since the 6.5PRC is pretty close to 6.5mm SAUM in performance.

Hornady does sell headstamped 6.5 4S brass, through GA Precision.

...but when the boat tail, and approx. .165" of bullet body intrude into the case, you loose a couple more grains of capacity more than when the bullet is loaded properly (should be just the boat tail, or most of it, into the case below the neck) This is why the SAUM, WSM, 6.5 REM MAG, and others are leaving performance on the table and why so many people have to single load to reach their potential.View attachment 69881

This is why I built my 7mm-300WSM shooting 180gr Berger VLDs on a mag-fed Pierce Titanium Long Action. The beginning of the boat tail meets the neck-shoulder junction putting my COAL @ 3.100". Shoots medium loads right at 3000 fps with speed in the tank if needed.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how much powder they are using to basically match the 6.5-284 velocity, hopefully it's a bit more efficient.

As they said, this is for the PRS crowd with a limit of 3100 fps and detachable mags. The accurate shooter article pretty well explains their thought process and target market. They knew going in this was not the cartridge for the LR shooter market.

The limit for PRS is 3200. The point of it is to prevent destroying the target steel so quickly as early on people were running 6mm@ 3300-3400 and punching holes thru it.

As far as I know PRS is overwhelmingly DM so the comment about top feeding does not really make sense. I wonder if it was a miscommunication. Rem footprint SA are also the primary goto.

Honestly Rich's SST is superior IMO sans not factory case. OK you could do it off a WSM and get a bit more vel and possibly equal SS vel but it will still hit 3200 with the 140s and likley 3K+ even with the new EOL 155 and still fit in a standard short magazine. That with Norma brass and hopefully soon Bertram. Ill take either of those over mushy Hornady brass any day. Only thing I would take over that would be Lapua and RWS. That gives you the longer neck and a case were the bullet has the BT junction at the neck and shoulder junction while still fitting in standard detach SA mags.

Now with all that said one of the first things people are going to do is neck it down to 6mm. They can then load it light and still hit the 3200 vel cap with 105-115 bergers and not push the cases hard at all. Far less recoil. The 6.5 has needed a case that could also match the PRS limit with the highest BC bullet as up to now the 6mm has had them beat. They will always win on recoil which with fast shooting does play into things not that even the 6.5 have much with a can or brake.

Last edited:
As they said, this is for the PRS crowd with a limit of 3100 fps and detachable mags. The accurate shooter article pretty well explains their thought process and target market. They knew going in this was not the cartridge for the LR shooter market.
Yes they did explain it well, which is why I said in my post that "FOR ME AT LEAST" as I am not in the
"PRS crowd" but more of a hunter, where other rounds make more sense. If I were of that crowd I am not sure I would run with it to gain 125fps on the Creed but would more likely go 6mm.
It will be fun to watch.

Yes they did explain it well, which is why I said in my post that "FOR ME AT LEAST" as I am not in the
"PRS crowd" but more of a hunter, where other rounds make more sense. If I were of that crowd I am not sure I would run with it to gain 125fps on the Creed but would more likely go 6mm.
It will be fun to watch.

yep sorry I missed where you stated that. I agree. By putting a cap on the vel it basically made it very caliber specific at least in the top 100. There is alsways going to be a balance or tipping point on recoil for faster followed and everyone wants to use the flattest shooting wind bucking bullet they can. With that vel cap it basically makes it a one cartridge game again at least at the top.

For the 6.5 they need a case to run the 140s at 3200 or the same vel as the top 6mm to win. They will always lose on recoil but they will gain it with less drop and wind especially wind for misses. The issue is the creed has the ideal powder column for the 6mm 105s at the PRS vel not the 6.5. Also you run into OAL issue with the long boys like the new 155 which is out of its weight class anyways. That is where I could see something like Richs SST coming in but the 155 maybe too much for recoil even with a great wind advantage. Sort of the way issue the 7mm guys ran into. But a berger 155 @ 3100 is one flat shooting wind bucker at to 1500. which are close to the max distance even the bonus targets are usually set at. I have seen a couple out to 1700 but that was it.

I am hoping to get back into the comp world and try PRS out. Hopefully this year. Want to also use it as a way to wring out some RD for some builds I have planned.

Again should have read your post more carefully.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.