New Hornady 6.5 PRC

.30US

I figured this would be the best place to get the scoop on this new cartridge. I will edit to add the photo of the spec sheet if I get the originator's permission, but will list them below.

Cal: 6.5mm/.264"
COL: 2.960'
Case head: .532" (standard Magnum)
Shoulder: 30 degrees
Action: Medium (written in pencil, "short")
Twist rate: 1:7 or 1:8
Barrel life: It looks like it was "1200" with the "1" having been written over in pencil to "2200"
Muzzle velocity: 3000fps with 140gr ELD Match (caveated as "Early Test Results")

I don't think I'm ready to rechamber my 6.5X55mm BJAI, but it sounds like a good alternative...a lot like a 6.5 SAUM. The person who first shared it said brass will be available this April/May and loaded ammo in 2018.

Ruger Precision Rifle new secret caliber maybe this could be it? Love to see 147 hornady + alco 150-160 3000fps

A little slower than the SAUM and a different parent case.

16114832_10154397042468510_2662153664035426401_n.jpg

They have been building these for a while now as a wildcat (6.5 Extreme) I was going to wildcat it when I designed the SS but it has 5-6 grains less capacity and you are stuck with Hornady brass which usually means about 3 firings if you run any pressure at all. Also, you are still stuck with the same old short action problem with the long bullets. They will be into the case quite a bit and not seated where they should be in the case neck. (they will have a short throat). Aside from that, they will no doubt make 3000' with a 140....Rich

Why wouldn't Hornady just sell the 6.5 gap 4s rebranded as prc? They already have been working with George for his brass why build it off the rcm case?

Why wouldn't Hornady just sell the 6.5 gap 4s rebranded as prc? They already have been working with George for his brass why build it off the rcm case?

My question is, why continue to build cartridges for a short action that are NOT designed for one?? I think the mentality is that the people who just buy factory rifles and shoot Hornady ammo are perfectly content, and I guess they are correct in that sense.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.