New Hornady 6.5 PRC

Aside from the obvious recoil weenies, what is the "short action" obsession ? have never been able to figure out why a 1/2" shorter and a few ounces less weight floats some guys boats..... accuracy wise there is ZERO valid proof they are more accurate, lots of bs claims on stiffer, shorter more accurate, blah, blah, blah..... but I see Ultra Mag, Lapua and CheyTac shooters perform accuracy feats from 100 yards to beyond 1k yards that can never be replicated with short actions that are supposed to be "inherently" more accurate....... guys are designing wildcats and shoving them in short actions {guilty} and whine at the same time about limited length in mags etc.........

short actions are a solution to a non existing problem, Hornady should have just made the case a tad bit longer with capacity equating the WSM and stuck it in a long action, a feller can always load a bit mild with select powders to save wear on brass etc and crank it up on demand when needed, just like the 6.5 aWeSoMe........
nothing I have seen in the SA has been anywhere near as good and as awesome as the 6.5 WSM and it is even better in a long action

Tagging on....I can't help to chuckle about all the recent permutations of the "6.5"........not too long ago it drew little more then a blank stare. Now it's sensory overload.

I think this will fit my needs currently. I have a long action with a magnum bolt face that I'd love to turn into a 6.5 without using a large case like the 264win. I'd love to go with the 6.5 Rem or 6.5 GAP but brass for either are near impossible to find. I don't care for headstamps that don't match chamber stamps with foreign customs so necking down isn't an option for me. I don't want to modify my bolt or buy a new one to accommodate a 6.5-284. Looks like this will fit nicely for what I'm currently looking to accomplish.

So... Is this the new 6.5 Remington Magnum invented in the mid-sixties without a belt? A second option of a 6.5-284 for the magnum bolt face actions.

Good luck

Jerry

Gents,
This thread is a little cold, but for those of you interested the Kimber 8400 WSM action will handle a cartridge overall length of just slightly longer than 3". I load mine to 3.005" COAL.
Cheers,
Mike

I guess Hornady are seizing on the success of the 6.5mm SAUM GAP 4s by using their own case design and not having to pay royalties to GAP or use Remingtons SAUM design. Would have been nice if the 6.5mm SAUM designs had become standardised as factory rounds. Oh well I'll just have to keep shooting the 300 or so Headstamped Norma 300 SAUM formed 6.5mm SAUM cases that I have.

I guess Hornady are seizing on the success of the 6.5mm SAUM GAP 4s by using their own case design and not having to pay royalties to GAP or use Remingtons SAUM design. Would have been nice if the 6.5mm SAUM designs had become standardised as factory rounds. Oh well I'll just have to keep shooting the 300 or so Headstamped Norma 300 SAUM formed 6.5mm SAUM cases that I have.

Stay tuned for a new competitor!...........Rich

Brass and reamers for the 6.5 pre are now available from George garner of games precision
Brass is about 88 cents a piece which beats the pants off the price of the Saum
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.