New Hornady 6.5 PRC

Is anyone seeing benefit or harm in going to a 7.5 twist barrel?? I'm leaning toward the 7.5 with a 27" barrel and merely looking for pros and cons.

The 7.5 twist in the 6.5x284/PRC will provide a good margin of stability using the 140-150+ grain offerings given the velocities you will be running in the 6.5PRC. Running an un-necessarily faster twist rate then required to stabilize the bullet generates additional heat(and stripping)in the barrel- entering the lands, which can result in increased throat wear, potentially effecting barrel life and accuracy. This could be an issue if you were to run the lighter 120-130gr bullets at the higher velocires which they are capable of achieving. The benchresters strive to use a twist rate that's just sufficient to fully stabilize the bullet of choice. With fast twist barrels, bullets with thin/frangible jackets should be avoided. Also, bullet imperfections, and and lead core inconsistencies can be exaggerated by a faster spinning bullet. These are the reasons that manufacturers don't simply supply their rifles/barrels with the fastest twist.

The possible benefit I saw in going with 1:7.5 over 1:8 was the ability to easily dial-in consistently accurate loads for my go-to 6.5 options (142 LRAB, 150 SMK, 143 ELD-X). Have not been able to do this with my other 1:8 barrels. Granted there are too many variables that come into play to contribute this change to twist rate only. If you plan on staying with lighter projectiles the slower twist rates make sense. If you plan on using 140 or greater I would consider the 7.5 for the good margin of stability mentioned previously.

Agree on the twist to some extent with 140 gr but 130's should stabilize with 1:9 and there are several very high BC 130 bullets on the market but no mfg will put them in the 264. Only conclusion I can come to is that they just don't care to improve. I had a guy load some of the Berger hybrids and the Nosler LR Accubonds with the Enduron 7977 for me and they were nice. Ran about 3150. I would settle for 130 gr rounds like that but nobody will even do that. Would be nice to be able to pick some rounds like that up in a local store if the PRC takes off.
How many grains?

got a 6.5 prc made from alamo precision. man those guys make a great shooting gun.
Running the 147 eldm at 57 gr of h1000 at 2970 out of a 26 inch 1/8 twist barrel. Not seeing any signs of pressure so I am sure could run hotter but man it shoots good right there

got a 6.5 prc made from alamo precision. man those guys make a great shooting gun.
Running the 147 eldm at 57 gr of h1000 at 2970 out of a 26 inch 1/8 twist barrel. Not seeing any signs of pressure so I am sure could run hotter but man it shoots good right there
How far off the lands are you running the 147s?

It's been a while for any activity on this thread and didn't want to start a new one but I had some thoughts.
I have a 700 Long Range SS in 7mm rem mag. I was thinking of possibly changing this to a 6.5mm (something) not exactly sure. I want a heavier 6.5 to rebarrel to and I've narrowed it down to either a
6.5 saum (gap)
Or
6.5 PRC
I want to keep the 26" barrel length and if I stay with the long action I won't have to worry about c.o.a.l. So my question is which would be the better route without changing a lot?
I know the PRC is same bolt face as the rem mag but would it be much work to change it to fit the saum bolt face diameter? My reason to consider the saum is I want maximum performance out of this 6.5. Would it not be worth the trouble going with the saum and what will be required for that or should I just go with the PRC and what will it require to go this route? Thanks

It's been a while for any activity on this thread and didn't want to start a new one but I had some thoughts.
I have a 700 Long Range SS in 7mm rem mag. I was thinking of possibly changing this to a 6.5mm (something) not exactly sure. I want a heavier 6.5 to rebarrel to and I've narrowed it down to either a
6.5 saum (gap)
Or
6.5 PRC
I want to keep the 26" barrel length and if I stay with the long action I won't have to worry about c.o.a.l. So my question is which would be the better route without changing a lot?
I know the PRC is same bolt face as the rem mag but would it be much work to change it to fit the saum bolt face diameter? My reason to consider the saum is I want maximum performance out of this 6.5. Would it not be worth the trouble going with the saum and what will be required for that or should I just go with the PRC and what will it require to go this route? Thanks
Take a look at the 6.5ss, or sst

Or the Max since its a long action.
If I am reading this correctly
I wouldn't need to swap out the .532" bolt face for the saum or Sherman shorts?
and where does the 6.5 SS or max come in compared to the saum? Do you have any comparison pics or numbers. I'm wanting to run 140+ up to 156 and what is best twist for this

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.