New hog hunt land

Another thought on how to bring in a cash flow to help with the land payment would be to lease it out during deer season. Lease prices are high. Sounds like you have that covered up there anyway. Then after deer season you and your friends can get serious about demolishing the hog population.

CaptnC go to Texas Parks and Wildlife web site then Hunting Licenses Stamps and Permits then Exceptions. And now I quote under Exceptions."A hunting license is NOT REQUIRED to hunt the following.-. Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking livestock,animals, or fowl. . Depredating feral hogs, if land owner is taking feral hogs causing depredation on landowners land." SOLD
Since the hogs in the high fence are bought and paid for and not openly released( still caged) I wonder if they are treated like Exotics and no license needed? Good question for the Game Warden.
Geo, I get where you're coming from but there's not a game warden in the state who would not issue a citation under these circumstances.

That statute exists solely to protect farmers and gardeners protecting crops/domestic animals from attacks.

You are right it does not matter what I think. I think you should not have to have a license to hunt hogs that are bought, paid for, and released in a pen. Like the quail you buy to work your dogs. I do not think you should have to have a license. The state feels differently. I am sure this is not the first or last time I will disagree with our government. However, I do my best to follow their rules. Any way I contacted a Texas game warden. Whether you need a license or not is simply about two words. Are you hunting for SPORT, license needed. If you are hunting with land owners request( hogs or coyotes) because of DEPREDATION, no license needed.

Thanks for the input I'm still on the search and found another piece in Florida and one in north east LA. By Shreveport. It's so tough not being able to go look at them easy.

Shreveport is NW Louisiana. I live in NE Louisiana(Around Monroe,La area).
How much land are you looking for? Are you looking to fence in the area?

I have a camp and my property borders the Tensas NWR. It is full of hogs and is Palmettos like you describe Florida hunting. I love shooting hogs too!

Louisiana has lots of hogs but they are not thick all over the state. Me and my uncle hunt the same refuge. I have a lot of hogs but he doesn't see any. We are probably 4 miles apart for each other.

Last edited:
Good luck selling that to the game wardens here in Texas, especially if your buying hogs to stock your land! The wardens I've dealt with wouldn't buy into that!

The basic license you have to have is not very expensive, even for non-residents. I've guided many hunters from out of state for exotics here in Texas.

CaptnC, either selling or buying the game warden has to eat it. I have gun down hogs intruding my property time and time Again. No liesense need for that.

CaptnC, either selling or buying the game warden has to eat it. I have gun down hogs intruding my property time and time Again. No liesense need for that.

Correct Sir...but starting charging hunters to come in and shoot them...it changes the license requirements. I'd have to look the law up but as I recall, depredations of fur bearing animals you can't take the hide or any part of the animal without some kind of license. I think you at least need a trappers license.

At any rate my point has always been;

You can't bring in/stock your property regardless the size with hogs and charge hunters to come in without a license to shoot hogs. It's too hard of a sale to say they are helping you rid your property of hogs if your constantly stocking them.

On unstocked, non-game fenced property sure you might be able "loop hole" the law. But why if your running a hunting operations would you want do something like that.

I guarantee you, you would never give my money to some crook who spent his time try to get around game laws!

The next words you might hear him say..."if you see someone, hide. I don't want anyone to know where my stands are!"

Been there, did that for about thirty minutes before I got the hell away from that guy!

Hey I'm finally back from Texas. Only a few hogs and nothing with my .375 but a ram at 423. Anyhow I was looking at 20 acres in LA. But am still on the fence. I've gone back and forth many times and I finally have the money but. Can't help but think for the money I can go on lots of hunts. Plus like stated not everywhere has hogs and that is what I'd want it for. Thanks for the input guys maybe I'll have time to look early spring.

I live and hunt in Florida. Hog hunting is about the only thing worth hunting here. buy land in a place call River Ranch Hunting Club, You can buy a acre for less than $1000.00 and hunt the whole 50,000 acre place. You cant build on the land, but that's how it works.

My son grew up there, riding atv and hunting. Pigs all over the place, great place to bring new hunters.

Rick

Oh, the club has feeder and also stock the land with hogs. Hogs are catch from farmer land and drop off in the ranch.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.