New Hevi X Strut

wildwings

Hevishot has done it again...........they have produced yet another

superior turkey shell with the new Hevi X Strut....it comes in 6's

IMHO, I can kill a Tom way, WAY out there with Winchester's Long Beard XR loads and are more than happy to limit myself to that considerable effective range. To me half the fun of and the reason I hunt turkeys is the challenge of calling them into the limited effective range of a shotgun.
Because of my stigmatism I had to scope my turkey guns two seasons ago as seeing the front fiber optic sight was getting to blurry and difficult to aim accurately.

Well put. I also use Winchester XR and think it does very well. Kill them to far out and it would take the fun out of it.

Hevi shot is over rated and way over priced. This is coming from a long time hevi shot fan until I shot long beard xr. Long beard holds the world record pattern right now

I use whatever is on sale and it seems backwards on a long range hunting site but I want that Turkey to be as close as possible. That's a lot of the fun imo is getting them within spitting distance.

I use whatever is on sale and it seems backwards on a long range hunting site but I want that Turkey to be as close as possible. That's a lot of the fun imo is getting them within spitting distance.
I agree 100%. If they aren't 30 yards or less then that's not Turkey hunting. I shot mine at 12 yards last spring. Learn to call if you cant get them under 40.

The last one I was in on got killed as it stood less than 10 yards from me. My uncle killed because I got caught with my pants down messing with a camera I think so he shot it before it ran off. Come to think of it I think that guy had a 10" or so beard. Good tom.

I use whatever patterns the best out of my gun, which happens to be HeviShot (of the four loads tested below).

From Left to Right:
Winchester DoubleX 20ga 3" 1-5/16oz #5
Hornady Heavy Magnum 20ga 3" 1-3/8oz #5
HeviShot 20ga 3" 1-1/4oz #7
HeviShot Magnum Blend 20ga 3" 1-1/4oz #5,6,7 Blend

Distance: 40 yds

33238129348_99e3b2fd04_k.jpg

I like the (20 ga) Winchester Long Beard XR #5 and the Hevi-Shot Magnum blend. Both shot good out of my gun. But neither compare to the TSS #9 that a friend of mine loads for me. I went back to using a 20 gauge because of them. It's way lighter to carry and is equally effective. Don't take much to kill a turkey in my opinion. But while I wait on him to get me some more made up I don't have an issue using either of two above.

IMG_20180330_130204003_HDR.jpg

20 gauge #9 TSS at a rangefinder confirmed 52 yds. I love calling em in close but sometimes you find yourself in a situation where the terrain gives the turkeys an upper hand. This guy was killed in a cutdown that had just been logged here in Florida. You could literally look over 500 acres at a time. Called him in and he froze looking for a hen that wasn't there. Never kicked, just bang flop.

Here's some more from a hunt with me and my brother and a friend. Took turns that morning calling for each other. One of the best morning you could ask for as a hunter. We all got one and each bird put on a show. All were killed with TSS #9.
IMG_20180330_130407802.jpg

The only thing heavy about Hevishot is their marketing. Why do they not state the density of their shot ? The original Hevi was good, then they came up with "heavy metal' which wasn't anything close to tungstens density. Unless it specifically states the density, stay away.
For comparison;
Steel ~7.8 g/cc
Bismuth ~9.6 g/cc
lead ~10.8 g/cc
Hevishot(original)12.0 g/cc
Federal Heavyweight 15 g/cc
TSS 18 g/cc
Depleted Uranium 19.1 g/cc(these are tank killing Warthog rounds)

HEVI-X is a mid-density pellet—about halfway between steel shot (approximately 7.86 g/cc) and HEVI-Shot (approximately 12.0 g/cc).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.