Federal Strut-Shok?

Justsomedude

I did a quick Pattern yesterday

Mossberg 835 UltiMag 12Ga with 24" No Slugs Barrel
Accumag Extra Full Turkey Choke
Federal Strut-Shok 3" Magnum Turkey Load
1 7/8oz #4

I only fired from 20 yards and 30 yards.
I used small cardboard silhouettes (had them in the car) so some pellets went off the paper.
The targets were on the ground leaned against a bush and I was shooting from Prone position

I counted 18 in the 3" circle from 30 yards and
37 in the 3" circle from 20 yards

Is the Flitecontrol substantially tighter than this?
3EEA6264-4F50-4B54-8C09-2D31D132EEF5-13051-000004FFF8AFFC52.jpg

C34A6D16-3995-4551-988F-F90A75241FE9-13051-000004FFF2032F87.jpg

That's not a bad pattern for 4's. It's hard to say whether FC wads would improve on that. You really just have to try a few loads to see what your gun likes. You'll definitely get more than a few into brain and spine with that. Probably even out to 40. All it takes is 1 pellet in the brain/spinal cord to put him down flopping, especially with #4's. I like #5's for greater density and still plenty of killing power out to 45 yards. You might see how 2 oz. loads do. The only Mossberg I have is a 20 gauge, but it doesn't pattern nearly as well with the Accuchoke X-full as it does with HS Undertaker. You might try spending $20-$30 on a tighter, extended tube, like Undertaker or Primos Tightwad. If you really want to tighten up with lead, try a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder. I shoot 12 gauge 870. I get tight patterns with Carlson's .665 constriction, ported Hevi-shot tube. Hevi 13's and Hevi magnum blends pattern even tighter. I get killing patterns out to 60 with that stuff, with energy to back them up.

I would suggest you try hevishot hevi13 in 2ounce load of # 6's. You will be amazed at how well this patterns and the shot is the most dense available. Instead of shooting cardboard, compare it to the federal load at 40 yards shooting into sheet metal or an old junk car door. The penetration of the denser hevishot will speak for itself! However, you should still concentrate on head shots for clean kills. The #6 hevishot will probably penetrate as well as the federal #4's and your pattern will be twice as dense. There is a reason hevishot has won the nwtf still target championship in every category for the last 8 years. If you will have shots closer than 40 yards, I would suggest the hevishot magnum blend of 5,6,7 shot. The blend will increase your on-target density and jelly the headshots. I am speaking from experience and not just blowing smoke.:)

I have a 835 and 935 mossberg with the factory ulti-full choke and they both shoot very well with the overbore barrel. I use the 3 1/2 inch federal flight control in #5 shot no problem with 40 yard shots. That same combo has killed quite a few birds at over 40 yards and the longest 63 yards. My dad doesn't use a range finder or know his yardage. I also use heavy-shot in the duplex 5,6,7 mix with a trueglow xtreme choke. This combo will destroy a turkey if you body shoot him. Unreal patterns but shells aren't cheep.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.