new gun?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Driftbuster, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Driftbuster

Driftbuster Member

I'm looking for a new gun in 300 Win Mag. Anyone have some hands on time wth the vanguard s2, or the T/C Venture?
    Thanks

2. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the vanguard, my sub moa 30-06 will shoot 3/8s moa all day any day with hand loads and about 1/2moa with factory ammo. I'm not a big fan of the thompson centers in any form, my picks are savage, howa(weatherby vanguard), and weatherby mk 5s.

3. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Jim See, Centershot rifles, "Coyboy" did a review. Send him a PM, or run a search. The thread's titled, Two upcoming reviews, or something similar. He rated the venture highly.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Of your two choices, I'd go with the TC Venture. I shot a co-worker's ICON and Venture in .270 Win and they performed extremely well in factory ammo ... very well built rifles.

IIRC but might be wrong, there was a recall on Venture for something ... I don't think it's anything major but you might want to look into.

Good luck!

ADDED:

Here's the safety recall notice ...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_777653_-1_757978_757978_image

5. Driftbuster

Driftbuster Member

I can't seem to find this .

6. Driftbuster

Driftbuster Member

FENIX I have friend hat won a venture in 270 and it is also a great shooter, I like how the gun feels. The Vanguard has a following also, I don't like the squared off fore end but the new s2 looks different and I can't find one to put my hands on yet. I would also like to check out the new dimension.