new gun

matt_3479

still in debate on which route to go. feel like maybe see what others would do in my situation. 2 options, keep in mind dont have all the money in the world!

option 1; I have a remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag. Take it and get the action worked on, new trigger and maybe new barrel or stock. Load up some 168 and 180 berger vlds as well as some 160 accubonds. gun will be used for big game out too 700 yards ish.

option 2; purchase a remington 700 sendero or 5R in a 300. win mag. take the little money i have after that and either action and trigger or maybe just the one for now.

this gun will be used for moose, black bear, elk and caribou out too 700 yards ish. i know both will work but the 300 will be just that little bit better on bear and stuff with the larger bullet.

what i want eventually is to have a long range mid weight tactical mcm A3 300. win mag or jump up to rum. and a light weight full custom gun for those long hikes. and if i go with option two, when the money comes around eventually i could have a mid weight tactical 300 and a light weight 7mm

Here's my thinking. Put 1100 into a new sendero and you'll have a pretty nice factory rifle.

If you put 1100 into your 7rem you could have a nice custom.

New barrel - $320
Chamber, thread, crown - $200
True action - $200
New stock - $350
Pillar bed - $200

A bit over $1100, unless you bed it yourself.

Use the Rem trigger, mag, and bottom metal.

This isn't real fancy, but it'd be superbly accurate. You could upgrade features as budget and taste permit from here.

my factory 7mm mag rem shoots very good ; easily out to 400 or 500. my sendero; i can shoot it to 1000. it is heavier and cost more. the krieger barrel for it was 395( fluted) plus 150 to chamber and thread. the shilen trigger was 100. and the action was not trued,. i used the existing sendero stock.

I'm pretty much with Grit on this.

But keep in mind, that the ultimate determination is the entire shooting system including quality handloads, optics, range finder, etc... backed by lots of practice.

So, work out your long range budget and start buying quality from the start so that you don't have to pay 2 and 3 times.

Happy hunting!
Richard

still in debate on which route to go. feel like maybe see what others would do in my situation. 2 options, keep in mind dont have all the money in the world!

option 1; I have a remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag. Take it and get the action worked on, new trigger and maybe new barrel or stock. Load up some 168 and 180 berger vlds as well as some 160 accubonds. gun will be used for big game out too 700 yards ish.

option 2; purchase a remington 700 sendero or 5R in a 300. win mag. take the little money i have after that and either action and trigger or maybe just the one for now.

this gun will be used for moose, black bear, elk and caribou out too 700 yards ish. i know both will work but the 300 will be just that little bit better on bear and stuff with the larger bullet.

what i want eventually is to have a long range mid weight tactical mcm A3 300. win mag or jump up to rum. and a light weight full custom gun for those long hikes. and if i go with option two, when the money comes around eventually i could have a mid weight tactical 300 and a light weight 7mm

If the present stock fits you and you can shoot it..then USE IT. Pitch the trigger and install a Jewell. ( you can do that yourself) Load up some serious handloads and see how the 7mm Mag shoots. If the loads and the barrel ( existing one) shoot where you want them at the range you wish and group tightly....run with it.

If it refuses to shoot accurately...THEN send it off and have it rebarreled and the action "worked on". Then go at it again!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.