New Gun

tommyc279

Just bought a new savage 12fv 22-250 and was wondering if i really need to break the barrel and how important it is to the accuracy of the gun! I live in michigan and it is 20 degrees outside and coyote camp is just around the corner! Does not give me ideal conditions for breaking in a new gun!

Tommy: Personally, I agree with 1kstr - I always go thru a break in process with a new rifle. However, as with many other subjects, there are others who believe break in is a waste of time and money.

Secondly, there are a number of suggested ways to break in a rifle, either on this or other forums, besides than firing. One way I have read (from a knowledgeable shooter) is to run 100 patches of JB bore paste thru the barrel to lap the rifling.

Given the outside temp, I would try this, or some other indoor technique, as a minimum. Don't forget too you will have to sight in the rifle, so some number of shots will be fired before camp... clean the bore throoughly between each shot, as well as cleaning after each 5 shots (for 10 iterations), if possible, while hunting. And don't overheat the bore!!

Check with Savage. Some claim that the barrels don't need to be broken in. I do break mine in, it smooths the bore. You can also use Tubbs finishing projectiles also

Check with Savage. Some claim that the barrels don't need to be broken in. I do break mine in, it smooths the bore. You can also use Tubbs finishing projectiles also

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I hand lap the barrel of every new rifle including a .223 Contender handgun that I've purchased since around 1990. The only exception being a rifle I had built in '89/'90 using a match grade barrel!

Perhaps a waste of time, but most have shown some improvement!

The most notable was a friends new SS Remington in the early '90's, the 100 yard groups (patterns 😂) with the "then new" Barnes mono bullets…..couldn't be covered with the palm of your hand. Once he was convinced to try hand lapping his barrel, the groups improved considerably! It was still nothing to brag about…..but a very significant improvement! memtb

Breaking in a Savage factory barrel? Bwahahahaha, them techs at the factory must have read my name on the tags because they really broke them in! Made sure every trademark reamer groove filled in good with copper! You'd think I killed a smurf on first cleaning!