New gun Build What cartridge?

subway5752

I want to build a Tackdriver. Primarly shooting at 600 and 1000 yards. I would like to build it between .27 and .30. I am looking for muz-velocity 3500 or faster.What is out there in that speed range and where do I find load data on it? Thanks Rich

Sub

Probably a 7mm STW or a 7RUM would be your choices in .284
or a 300 RUM or a 30/378 if you want to stay with a factory round.

Bullet choices are good in these large cases (will handle heavy bullets).

There are also some wildcats that will work in these calibers.

J E CUSTOM

Sub i would agree with J E Customs on this one unless you wanted a wildcat round the 30-378WBY The 7MM STW would fit your bill nicely. flat fast and carry plenty of energy to take most anything you want.

What do you want to shoot? paper? toad frogs? field mice? Perhaps something with hair on it such as pen raised possums?

Or are we talking about antelope elk or deer?

The speeds you are talking about are hard on a barrel. Light bullets which are fasts in the smaller 7mm Mag cartridges have low BCs and are very wind affected at long range. The better BC bullets require a lot of powder to be burned to get the speeds you want. If you want to burn a lot of powder to get those speeds in a moderate to high BC bullet then you should look at the two threads on the Allen Magnums. Of course if you want to shoot it a lot then you should have a spare barrel made at the time you order it so it is available and ready to install.

The 7mm AM despite being on a large capacity case is still extremely docile with the correct powder and bullet and extremely accurate.

Save your shoulder and build a 7mm-08 or something like that. It will do anything them new mega mags will do with a lot less punishment. Recoil sucks! IMHO less is more. I like a mild recoiling,easy shooting gun when I set down to a long day of shooting.....Jim

get a 300 rum it will take care of anything out to 1k, if you do your part
i dad one that would push a 200gr accubond at 3200.
and with a brake the recoil is not that bad. michael

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.