New Rifle Build What Primers

augnmike

Being new to the reloading game (I have only reloaded for my .204) I am curious as to what primer I should use for a new coyote gun I just had built. It is a 6x47 or 6mm-.222 rem mag. I have been using small rifle magnum primers for my .204 are those ok for this round as well? If it matters I am loading some up with Win 748, H322 and IMR4895.

I don't have much experience with small rifle primers, but as a general practice, I start everything off with Remington primers. The cups are relatively soft and show pressure very well. They usually shoot well, too.

If you develop a load with a magnum primer, and it shoots well, use it, but if you have a load using std primers, back off on the powder charge before trying a magnum primer. Not everyone agrees that this is necessary, but I would do it.

Watch the 748 loads. Friends who shot it in .223 matches told me that it dropped a lot of pressure in very cold conditions. That was several years ago, and may not apply now. They may have stabilized it.

The trick for me is to find a bullet the barrel likes, and a load with low std deviation, and get them together. You will need a chronograph.

Enjoy your project. Good shooting, Tom

I have a pile of different primers around here and use them all for different things. I have found that for .223, .222mag, . .17 Rem, .204 and other similar size cases that the 7 1/2 Rem. primers usually give the best accuracy.

Primers

Remington 6 1/2 primers may have the softer cups.
Definitely not 7 1/2's. These tend to have tougher cups.
7 1/2's are my go to primers in the small cases.
I have a 6 X 47 Improved with a 45 degree shoulder.
It used to be a LV on my Panda in PPC for 2000rds. Then cut off
& chambered in 6 X 47 IMP for the last 5700 rds. for P.D.'s.
Getting pretty long in the tooth, but still shoots.
Nothing but 55gr. Noslers and AA-2230C.

Al.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.