New grendel

Zen Archery

Had some parts and pieces laying around.
Decided to build a Grendel.
This is gonna be a fun pew pew!
1NOwlBCm.jpg

Zen nice video I'll share a bit. I few years ago I had just assembled a 223 AR using a WOA 1-12 twist barrel I got on sale. I didn't even have sights on it yet and a buddy called me said a train had hit a deer and broken it's back come put it down. I grabbed that new gun I'd just assembled that afternoon and out the door I went first bullet out of that barrel put the animal out of its misery it's been an absolute deer killing machine. My two oldest boys have shot several deer with it since. After getting a scope mounted I shot it a bit playing around with load development with it and shot a 2.5" five shot group at 400yds running 53gr vmax bullets darn thing will shoot.

sweet, i just finished up a grendel build after the holidays. it's mean little round. i just wish ammo was more available locally. match hornady 123gr ELM is $22 at acadmey. havent been able to find it at bass pro or cabelas. it wont have any problem taking a eastern white tail down.

sweet, i just finished up a grendel build after the holidays. it's mean little round. i just wish ammo was more available locally. match hornady 123gr ELM is $22 at acadmey. havent been able to find it at bass pro or cabelas. it wont have any problem taking a eastern white tail down.
You know you can order ammo online and costs MUCH less.

You can save about $4 a box right here...

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hor...l-ammo-123-grain-eld-match-81528-p-59046.aspx

$5 a box cheaper at Bud's.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...rnady+6.5+Grendel+123gr+ELD-Match+Black+20rds

The reason that the Wolf/Tula ammo is not really accurate is because the bullets are under size. Somewhere around .262/3 instead of .264 .
I guess it may have to do with the bi-metal bullet and pressure issues or something. A long while back I picked up a box of 140 gr Speer bullets for almost nothing at a gun show to load up for my 6.5x55s. I could not get this bullet to shoot very accurate at 100 yards. 140 Sierra and Hornady bullets would drive tacks in these rifles. Just happened to look at the box of Speer and saw .263 diameter marked on it. Did a little research and found that back then Speer made this bullet so it would work through the Winchester rifles in 264 Win mag. The way that the throat and rifling was designed in the early rifles Winchester ammo had a two diameter bullet. The nose section was .263 to ride up the bore and the base section was .264 so Speer made there whole bullet .263.

Good news on the store bought ammo I saw a couple weeks ago. Nosler is going to make 6.5 Grendel ammo. If memory serves me they are going to have 100 BT, 123 Match and 129 LRAB. I have not shot any of the 129 LRAB but from those who have used this bullet it sounds like it just may be one of the best game bullets out there.
As far as accuracy goes for a less expensive bullet that is huntable is the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter. In both of my rifles it is as accurate as any match bullet and from it's usage in other 6.5 cal weapons is a great deer bullet in the velocity range capable with the 6.5 Grendel. I did not get to shoot a deer with this bullet this year in the Grendel but did with another good bullet. The 120 Speer Gold Dot is accurate and really not all that expensive for a bonded bullet and has been accurate in both of my 6.5 Grendel's and was a AWESOME killing bullet on the one deer I shot with it.

Last edited:
That's good news indeed! If Nosler is jumping on the 6.5G bandwagon, then things are finally picking up for the 6.5G again. That Nosler 120 Match would be some good stuff, if they're going to be using an RDF or Custom Comp bullets in it.

I have a couple thousand Nosler 123 Custom Comps for my 6.5 Grendel. That bullet was designed mainly for the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, since 120-123 grains is the optimal bullet weight for it. I hope that's the one they use. I also hope it's priced competitively, about the same as the Hornady Black and Hornady Match ammo around $20 a box. They would sell a ton of it at that price, because you would also be getting lots of high-quality Nosler brass to reload.

Don't hold your breath waiting on $20 a box for Nosler ammo their cases cost about that LOL. I would say price will probably be closer to $30 a box compared to their other ammo. Yes the bullet will be the 123 Custom Comp, 90 gr varmint and 129 LRAB. Now Nosler saying that they are going to produce this ammo and it actually getting to the store shelves is a who knows when proposition.

Last edited:
I was wrong. Nosler will not be making 100 BT but will be making a 90 gr varmint load. But I was correct on the 123 CC and 129 LRAB. You can go to the Nosler web site and read about their new for 2019 stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.