New Grendel

I was looking at the 129 nosler LRAB. Looks to be doable at 2500fps with CFE 223, should be a good long range performer. Anybody tried this bullet yet? I have killed a boatload of whitetails with a shorty 243 running 100gr Sierra game kings at 2850fps. I just can't imagine a solid hunting bullet like the 100gr BT or partition at the same speed out of the Grendel wouldn't be equally effective at 2750-2800fps

Beware, the LRAB's have inflated BC's... Check out the Berger 130 AR Hybrids.

According to Litz the 129 LRAB in an 8 twist is still .553, that's pretty decent. I'll have to check out that Berger the 130gr Sierra HPBT is getting good recommendations also.

What exactly was the issue with the SST you were having? Not expanding? Not enough terminal performance? No exit?

The issue I had was them blowing up on impact, but it was from too light of a bullet at too high of velocities from my 7mmRemMag...
All 3 problems. Never knew what you were gonna get. Had bullets pass through with no expansion or frag much like a FMJ. One bullet was found fully expanded pretty much intact with only 3 inches or so penetration. Once I had an entry no exit, bullet seemed to powder into oblivion. Wasn't a spectacular killing bullet by no means. My problem was it took multiple shots to bring them down and were making a bee line to my neighbor where recovery is iffy. I too view the AR as more of a fun gun best used on varmints and targets. I never felt "right" using one on deer, just seemed odd to me. Never missed a shot by no means but it kills way worse than numbers would suggest. Big game gets the bolt gun from now on or the '94 or the No.1 .....choices, choices

All 3 problems. Never knew what you were gonna get. Had bullets pass through with no expansion or frag much like a FMJ. One bullet was found fully expanded pretty much intact with only 3 inches or so penetration. Once I had an entry no exit, bullet seemed to powder into oblivion. Wasn't a spectacular killing bullet by no means. My problem was it took multiple shots to bring them down and were making a bee line to my neighbor where recovery is iffy. I too view the AR as more of a fun gun best used on varmints and targets. I never felt "right" using one on deer, just seemed odd to me. Never missed a shot by no means but it kills way worse than numbers would suggest. Big game gets the bolt gun from now on or the '94 or the No.1 .....choices, choices

That's definitely a bullet issue, and not a Grendel issue. I'd say give a few different bullets a try. I bet those Berger 130 AR Hybrids would work good for you.

I don't know why, but I've just never seen the AR as a bonafide hunting rifle, other than varmints and insurgents. Maybe because I've always hunted with a bolt-action, and primarily deer hunt. I do SOME coyote hunting, buy most of the time I take my .25-06 AI with me. Now that I built my Grendel last year, I'll probably take it more often.

Just so much you can pack into the short action of an AR15

Yes and no... You're also extremely limited by that super-short action, as well...

I would honestly say the AR-10 is a more versatile platform, but I don't even own one of those, because I don't have a need for one. Prefer my rifles to be a bolt-action.

Honestly, I'd rather have a bolt-action heavy .300 BLK and 6.5 Grendel. Which is why I want a Rem 700 Tac 16.5" .300 BLK. I'd also love to have the same thing in a 6.5 Grendel, but with a 20-24" barrel.

If yall are interested in other factory loaded bullets precision firearms make ammo in house using quality components.I am not sure how they shoot because I am in the process of a grendel build myself. I plan on buying some as soon as i get my gun built and then using the lapua brass to reload.

heres a link (they have alot more options than just these)
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.preci...-5-grendel-123-nosler-custom-competition.html

Nice rig, congrats and good luck w it. I got a AR 6.5g 24" for long range shooting; got it good to 600y now, working my way to 1k then 1300y. Sooo much nicer than cranking on the bolt guns that I did for 50 yrs.

My 24" 6.5 Grendel...

Just put a new scope on it, SWFA SS 3-15x42 with the MQ DM reticle.

BF2AE43D-9D19-497E-BFC0-54890EBF2DDD_zpsntonx1mj.jpg

B7FC93FB-4A21-4A0D-AAD5-06EDEC5FA258_zpsgeqraczr.jpg

53959448-69DB-404E-91AD-5375D619A1EB_zpssd5wenwg.jpg

E3099D90-74E8-4F98-8307-19D66005D1C5_zpstywxlbmj.jpg

2AF54553-AA92-458C-8FE7-96AB58AD1C8F_zps36sex0tc.jpg

A3C09018-FCA1-48F6-9C90-C13F31A540BD_zpsirygfuhn.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.