New Edge At 1250

I didnt realize when I was looking into the .338-.300 that the .338 rum was around. I am farily new to the bigger rifles. To me it doesnt make much sense as to why anyone would really go through the sizing a wildcat cartridge if the same thing is available in a production model. With all of the hype that the edge recieves on a few of these websites I thought that this was a pretty special cartridge, but after some research it doesnt really make much sense as to why it is still around with the .338 RUM being available. Just seems like more hassle than is necessary. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but long time long ranger makes some very good points about the niche for this rifle and where it fits in. he seems to know as much as anyone about it.

Keep in mind that the 338 RUM case has about 14% less case capacity. This was done by Remington to reduce the chance of the cases being cambered in the wrong rifle.

I think the H2O capacity of the 338rum's about 111 and the Edge is about 118 at about 6% increase in capacity...maybe LTLR can confirm or not but, I thought I read it somewhere here on LRH.

I worked on a design for the 338-300 ultramag in 98-99 and spent about a year testing it in various forms. By 2001 when the 338 RUM came out I had probably turned out 75-100 of them for elk hunters where I lived in Colorado and the southeast and had it down pretty good. By 2001 so many gunsmiths were doing that one and stamping it 338-300 ultramag I just continue to call it what it is to eliminate confusion. If a guy has a 338-300 ultramag everybody knows exactly what it is. Several shops began calling it by various names in the late 90's and into 2000 and it got way to confusing and nobody knew what they had when they went to sell it. So I just keep it simple and call it what it is. I am sure there are way more out there stamped 338-300 ultra than anything else. Probably easily over 1000 by the turn of the century from all the guys I was in contact with working on designs at the time for this one and the best improved Lapua in 30 and 338 calibers. Still the same gun and shoots great no matter what it is called. On this forum edge seems to be the most popular now. But if you go off this forum not many know what your talking about but everybody everywhere knows what a 338-300 ultramag is.
Kind of know where you are going with this. Back in i think around 1988 when Shooting Times Magazine writer Layne Simpson came out with the 7 stw i had to have one. Talking to a friend of mine telling him it about He says i have 2 of them, i said how did you get them so quick. He replied i have only had them for 8 years, 1 in a full blown heavy bench gun other in a sporter, he called it the 7mm - 8mm mag. Told me he wasent happy with it because ( sporter ) light bullets dodnt really get any more vel. than 7 mag but where it came to better life was with the heavier bullets but didnt have enough *** to sit behind it. This was in the era muzzle brakes wasent that popular in my area. I bought the sporter fired it a few times and sent Layne Simpson a few cases , he did respond back in a letter stating it appeared to be the same but in wildcatting he didnt take the claim for it. Reading other articles he did take the claim for the 7 stw but there was already a 7mm-8mm mag out there, maybe he didnt know about that one.
Mike

Mike came up to my house yesterday and we had a little fun with the 338 Edge. Let's just say there was a rock at 1175 yards and Mike made contact with it. He was holding 2 min to the left and nailed it. Oh yeah, the rock was 7 inches wide and 12 inches high. Then it was my turn. The rock is now 7 inches wide and 10 inches high! Man do I love that gun!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.