New build dilemma

The 280 AI where you were to start with is also no fireforming and a much better all around cartridge than the 6.5-284. In 264 the extra powder capacity of the 6.5-06 AI and the 240 Gibbs spit a 140 out faster than the 6.5-284 if the 3100 fps velocity is important to you.

I just want a caliber I can easily load for and be able to take deer out to 700 or so but still punch paper or harass steel at 1000+. Idk if that would be to build the spsv 308 or build something off my action.. I really like the gibbs but id like something a little cheaper and easier to load for

The barrel in the 280 AI will last and last. The 6.5-284 will not last as long if that makes a difference since you plan on shooting targets quite a bit. Either will kill your deer but if you plan on shooting targets the longer barrel life would be important. The 280 AI is far more versatile a cartridge for future use with a wide array of bullet choices for hunting and targets.

The 308 will last forever and is cheap and easy to reload. Slow with a lot of clicks for windage and drop. In a hunting situation to 700 yards it would be far more difficult to make hits in the wind with the 308 vs the 280 AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.