300 Weatherby dilemma

eaglesnester

I have a 300 Weatherby. My buddy has a 300 Weatherby in a custom Sako. He gave me his once fired brass from the 300 Weatherby Sako. I full length resized this brass,
and reloaded them. When I tried to fit these reloaded full length resized brass into my 300 Weatherby, the rounds would not chamber as the bolt would not close. What gives here? He also gave me about 100 rounds of 340 Weatherby brass once fired. I full length resized this brass to a 300 Weatherby as well. All of these rounds chambered smooth as butter. What gives with the once fired 300 Weatherby Sako brass?
cheers and tighter groups: eaglesnester

I don't think you got a complete fl on them, its also not safe practice to use 340wby brass without checking the neck thickness and likely outside turning the necks. I use 340wby brass in my 300wby LG but I take .006" off for a.340" neck.

I had the same issue with some once-fired 240 Weatherby brass I acquired. I couldn't adjust the sizing die down quite enough to get cases to chamber in my rifle.

The solution was to get another shell holder and grind it down slightly until the sizing die could be adjusted down far enough to set the cases to my chamber dimensions. Once the rounds were sized for my rifle, I backed the die off so I wouldn't set the shoulder back on each sizing.

It's worth a try. Good luck.

As stated prob not enough sizing. Try a redding shell holder kit. Sizing on the 300 wby can be tricky also confirm you case length and trim 10 thousand back. I load a lot of this caliber can be a case bulge at the bottom as well but I find it to be shoulder most often I also like to leave the brass in the full length die for a couple seconds to try and ovoid spring.

ive got two 7mags a bdl and a hawkeye and brass that was shot in the hawkeye wont fit in the remington no matter how you size it. the ruger has a chamber on the large side and the rem is tight chambered. I have to keep my brass seperate for each gun.

The only reasons the brass doesn't chamber easily would be inadequate sizing or, less likely, the brass is too long for the chamber but I assume you checked for this. You can't size completely up to the head/belt with the usual dies. A solution to this problem would be the following die:

Inovative Technologies Die

I don't think the need for this die is common but it may fix your problem. I've had the die for several years and have never had to use if for the several belted magnums I reload for so I don't think everyone loading for belter magnums needs one.

Regarding the 340 WM brass you resized to 300 WM; if it chambers easily, I would shoot it without worries.

Same issue with some pre fired and resized cases for my 300 Weatherby. I resized the cases in my dies with some improvement. Why mess with stuff that you really don't know the history. I gave them back. I use new brass and keep track of the re sizing. Just me !!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.