New brass question

jbo

I bought new Nosler brass and have worked up a load using thirty pieces. My

question, would it be more accurate to use the new unfired brass for my

hunting loads or the fired brass. The brass has been fired four times.

Although not a custom barrel wouldn't the fired brass some what chamber

form?

Thanks for the help

When the brass is fired in your chamber it takes the shape of that chamber. If you neck size the case will still be a perfect fit for your chamber. If you full length size the brass with out tweaking the FL die you start from zero.

So I guess my question is, do you full length size or neck size?

The fired brass is fire formed. What die are you using to size your brass? if you are using a full length die you will want to back it off so that your shell holder does not touch the bottom of the die. You can use a feeler gauge to set it. I would use .010 to .015 gauge. this will let you size the neck without full length sizing your brass. after about three fireings you will have to bump the shoulder back. you can do this by setting you die back down or buy using a thinner gauge untill the case goes in the chamber with the feel you are looking for. Every thing being equal if you can set you brass up right fired brass should work the best. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information,

I'm using RCBS dies and will do what you suggested, makes sence.

Any advice on what the best dies to use would be appreciated.

They do seem fine but just wondering what is considered the LEXUS of dies.

I no longer use Cadillac as a refer :)

Thanks

They do seem fine but just wondering what is considered the LEXUS of dies.

I no longer use Cadillac as a refer :)

Thanks

Redding and Forster are top of the line. I also use Lee, Hornady, Dillon and RCBS, it all depends on what I'm loading for and what I'm trying to accomplish. For most applications, any die will do. If I had a new rifle that I wanted to get the most out of, I'd likely start with Redding dies.

If I already had a set of dies, I'd buy a set of Calipers and the Hornady headspace gauge set to make sure I was setting up the die correctly before I spent additional money on a new set of dies.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.