New brass question

cornchuck

I finally got some new .308 Lapua brass. Thanks to Cabela points. I have been using Rem brass. And the load I have for my .308, I'm loading 42.5grs of Varget with a CBTO of 2.227 with Sierra TMK. I have read that I should back the load down because different case thickness. How much should I back it down? Or I'm am safe with the load I already have?

Thank you
Jason

I would start 2gr below and work up again. Every time I use a different manufacturer's brass for .308, I'll start the load process over. I doubt that anything dangerous would happen if you just used the 42.5g of Varget in your new Lapua brass, but why risk it?

scrmblr,
Thank you for your response. I was actually thinking of starting over. And that is likely what I'll do. Just wanted to get someone else's thoughts other then what I was thinking.

Jason

I finally got some new .308 Lapua brass. Thanks to Cabela points. I have been using Rem brass. And the load I have for my .308, I'm loading 42.5grs of Varget with a CBTO of 2.227 with Sierra TMK. I have read that I should back the load down because different case thickness. How much should I back it down? Or I'm am safe with the load I already have?

Thank you
Jason

Even with the heaviest tipped match king I can find in .308" you are only .5 grains over book listed minimum. So you should be fine pressure wise. If you drop 2 grains you'll be way under book minimum which can potentially bee more dangerous than being just a little on the hot side. If you get too little powder in the case and too much air space there is the potential for a detonation of the powder instead of a controlled burn. It rarely happens but it is a real risk.

My book shows 42 - 45 grains of Varget with a 175 grain jacketed bullet.

My Lapua .308 Win brass is pretty soft and stretches pockets quickly with over max loads. The best bet is to back it down.

Why don't you fill one of your old cases and one of your new ones full of some ball powder and weigh the powder. Repeat a couple times for an average. Might be interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts