New Bow

jpbaker

Wanting to quit using my buddies (Bear Game-Over), and pick up my own bow.

The thing is, money is an issue (gotta quite buying guns and "stuff")

Wanna keep this setup around $400, buying a used setup will probably be they way I go.

However, been looking at:

Mathews - Switchback (seems popular on here)
Martin - Cheeta
Martin - Phantera

These are easly accessed on e-bay and my local shop can fix up the sizing.

These bows will be used on black bear and deer up to 40yds (maybe more with lots a practice.)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions/comments.

TKS
JPB

Martin Archery has been in the business for a long time and knows what they're doing ... have some good choices and price values.

If you like the Mathews don't overlook the Mission Archery.

Might also want to consider the Diamond series by Bowtech. A friend bought the Outlaw package for a tad over $400.

Good luck!

If you are looking for a used bow stay away from ebay. Do yourself a favor look in the classifieds on archerytalk you should be able to find whatever bow you would like. Just make sure you know your drawlength and if the bow's drawlength is adjustable. Some bows require new cams and if you change cams sometimes you will need to get new strings and cables depending on how much of a change you are making. I've shot the mathews and hoyt bows personally I like the hoyts. I have picked them up on archery talk used and some new in box. Good luck let me know what you end up with or if you have any questions.

The important things when buy a bow at least for fitment are the drawlength and draw weight. Heavier isnt always better. Having a draw weight too heavy will cause bad habits regardless of the bows letoff.

I like my pse xforce so what was said above would be my choice. look into a used one. Diamond/Bowtech are another fav. Martin is good and they know what they are doing if thats what you want i would look into a used firecat.

Forgot to say Matthews is a great bow maker too and the pse bow madness is a killer bow and not as pricy as an xforce. Might look at an archery shop to see what you like first even if you buy used. This way you can feel the draw cycle of the bow you are looking at.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.