very new bow shooter

What do you want to know? There are two camps regarding single pin sights. Those that like them, those that don't. I have the Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg on my Heli-m. I love it. I'll admit I haven't taken it hunting, but I have zeros for 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. I will leave it set at 30 yards. The difference in drop is negligible between 20 and 30 yards so if I come across an animal and don't have time to adjust the sight I'll still have a kill if I do my part. If it's at 40 I'll hold over a little, and if it's any more than that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the shot without the time to set up for it so I'd either take the time to range the animal and adjust the sight or I'd get closer.
I like the single pin concept for the lack of clutter or possibility of sighting against the wrong pin. If I ever do a multi pin again it'd be 3-4 pins max.

Depends. When I shot competitively I used a 1 pin system. I hunt with multi pin. I am not about to screw around with a pin adjustment and miss a shot op on a massive bull or guess. However, to the other poster I agree with his method. If 40 is your limit and your bow is fast enough, 1 pin would work.

My latest set up is Montana Gold. I like the spot as well. Both are tough. I uses horses a lot in the back country and my stuff takes a beating.

I hunt with a single pin, and have yet to have a shot where I have time to adjust it prior to shooting. Similar to the above posters, I'll shoot Kentucky windage out to 40 yards with my pin set at 30. My next set-up will probably be multi-pin.

I like single pin my self less clutter better for small game & a diming light for hunting in moon light for Cyotes have yet to bag one with bow

Used a micrometer site back when I went to shoots.Friend missed a big bull with one hunting , he has 40 + p&y.He went back to multiple,another friend shoots 20,40,60 3 pin he is within few animals on super slam.I use multi, for horse hunting I use a slide off type mnt,slide on once to destination had horses wreck lots stuff

I've used single pin sliders for many years. I know there's a lot of setups out there, from high to low end. Do yourself a favor and look seriously at the HHA Optimizer. I tried a couple of the lower end sights (cobra was the last cheap one), and they kept breaking. Cheap components, not robust at all. Then in 2004 I switched over to HHA, and have been with them ever since. Never had a problem with them. I shoot 3D league, and occaisional spots, and hunt all with the same setup. The HHA pulls in tons of light, has solid windage "clicks" for adjusting, and a great warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.