New To Bow Hunting. Advice?

JP100

Hi there
I am considering getting a bow/crossbow. I have no experience with archery execpt having been on a few bow hunt with others. Any Advice on where to start? Brands to avoid/stick to? Anything would be of great help.

I suggest getting a left over or used bow in very good condition to make sure you will be able to enjoy your new experience. This is what I did with my first bow. I got a left over fred bear TRX 32 kitted out with everything I need from lancaster archery for 385. Then I bought me most recent bow which is a used 08 Bowtech Guardian from a very good friend for 500 bucks kitted out. With the price of new high end bows running from 650 to over 1000 dollars just for the bow without sight,rest,release,quiver,stabilizer,and arrows on a highed bow you could be 1500-1800 bucks deep before you even shoot an arrow. brands to stick with bowtech,diamond(a bowtech company), hoyt, pse, fred bear, mathews, mission archery(a mathews company), strother, elite archery. Check out archery talk forums very good info there

Andrew

Hey there thanks alot sounds good. yea the bows Ive looked at are 1000+ and I dnt know anything haha. Ile just keep my eye out for and second hand one. How would I find what draw length I will need? Im 5ft 11 but have pretty long arms haha
Thanks alot Joseph

What you need to do is stop by a bow shop in your area. Just let them know that you are looking into getting a bow and wanted to handle a few of them to see how they feel. They can also measure your draw length for you if you ask them too. Let them know what you are mainly going to hunt with it. Test out the different bows and see which one feels good in your hands. You dont have to have a 70# draw weight to be effective. I have known people that have taken elk with a 45# draw weight.

I can only emphasize what others have said. Get a used bow, some of todays brands may be better than others but none are really junk. You could probably get into a decent used bow for $250 or less, it might even come with arrows,release etc...I would reccomend going to a pro-shop just to be measured for draw length etc...You can kill any critter in America with a 20yr old bow. My buddy still uses his 1980s Martin Panther to kill deer every year. Dont get caught up in all the gagets and think you have to have them. I use a longbow and have other friends that kill their critters with selfbows and flint tips.........It's a great sport.

I'm just really getting into bow hunting this year too. I tried it two years ago with a borrowed bow that didn't fit me really but I made it work:). Skipped bow season last year because of drawing a rifle elk tag. For fathers day this year I was able to go out and pick one out. I ended up getting the Bear legion in a package for $499.99 at Cabelas. They actually have the Bear mauler which is the next step up on sale right now for the same price. It's a really great bow. It has draw length adjustments from 26-31" in half inch increments with no press required. I ended up spending another $400 to get all set up with arrows, a case, release, target, different tips, string wax and all the goodies. I bought pretty expensive arrows though so if you wanted to save more money that would be a place to start. Make sure to get a fully adjustable release with a buckle NOT velcro! It's noisy and inconsistant with how you strap it. The buckle is the same every time. I would recommend if you buy it a bigger box store to take it to an archery shop and have it tuned. I did and my groups went from about 2-3" to 1" at 20-30 yards. Also as far as broadheads I bought muzzy 100 grain three blades off the start. They hit about 3-4" lower than my field tips. I haven't tried them after the tune but I did buy some Wac'em exits. They are a four blade and they hit spot on with my field tips. Hope this helps! I pretty addicted to archery now:) good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts