New bottom metal or a "blind" ADL magazine on my new rifle?

Sid Post

I have a sweet Pac-Nor 338-06AI barreled action with a Sendero profile barrel. I want to finish it off.

I'm wondering if I really need the extra expense of bottom metal (no magazines
wink.gif
) or, if a blind "ADL" style stock would be better. This rifle will be used to hunt and for range days. I don't recall ever intentionally dropping the floorplate in the field or at the range. Pulling rounds through an open action seems pretty easy and I don't need "speed" reloads so a blind Remington ADL style magazine seems to be not only a lot cheaper but superior in my application.

Am I missing something in a hunting rifle regarding bottom metal?

Thanks!
Sid

Their realy is no benifit to a BDL over the ADL unless you need to unload the gun realy fast. Not only will going with an ADL save you money it'll save you weight.

Performance wise, your absolutely right.

The gun will never know the difference and it might even shoot a tad better as a BDL since you leave more stock on the stock. (although it isn't much of a difference)

I have built quite a few internal box magazine bolt guns and they all shot/performed well. It's just a little more work to unload them.

Go for it.

I always used Sunny Hill Floor metal in my guns. At 300-400 a piece its certainly not the most affordable option, but they are nice and I've never had an issue. There are however several nice hinged floor plates available now that are in the $100 range. David Kiff, owner of Pacific tool and gauge offers one now that is supposed to be very nice. I've not seen it in person yet, but I've used David's tooling for a long time now and it's always top shelf stuff.

Just another option. Good luck.

I build all of my sporters with the HS Precision bottom metal. I like to bead blast off the black finish to match the rest of the rifle plus the center feed is helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.