Bedding a blind magazine

scpaul

I'm building a rifle w/a blind mag.(Savage116FSS) Iwant to bed the lower mag. metal & remove it. The way it's attached I believe reforming it would be a problem. I want to lengthen the mag. opening so I can use longer bullets without eating case capacity. I think as long as I don't mess w/the width the orig. ctg. lift assy will work w/little or no mods. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated,Paul

I'm building a rifle w/a blind mag.(Savage116FSS) Iwant to bed the lower mag. metal & remove it. The way it's attached I believe reforming it would be a problem. I want to lengthen the mag. opening so I can use longer bullets without eating case capacity. I think as long as I don't mess w/the width the orig. ctg. lift assy will work w/little or no mods. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated,Paul

Bedding a magazine (Any kind) can cause accuracy problems.

You need the magazine to be a little lose ether on the top or the bottom. It is just a guide for the follower and if it is in a bind or anchored by bedding, as the action temp changes it will move the POI.

J E CUSTOM

I think he was asking about bedding the magazine box then removing it and using the longer area in the stock, where the magazine fits, for his magazine.

I think he was asking about bedding the magazine box then removing it and using the longer area in the stock, where the magazine fits, for his magazine.

That could be difficult because the spring that fits in there may now be undersized enough to give too much wiggle room.

I have also found that Savage magazines get slightly larger towards the bottom. This can cause a significant problem trying to remove the barreled action after you've let the epoxy harden. Don't ask how I know. :D I prefer to use plenty of Play-Doh (or whatever you prefer) around the magazine to keep it from being pinched into place.

What benefit do you hope to gain by bedding the magazine?
Ultimately I'm wanting to lengthen the mag for a wildcat(7/300 Practical). It may be that the metal mag liner isn't used at all, or I may need to cut the metal to lengthen the mag length in the fr/rear don't know which one at this time. Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.