new barrel, re bed the action?

emn83

After reading a lot on here, and doing some research, I'm planning on replacing the factory 22in sporter barrel on My Savage with a 26in heavy sporter barrel, or a 24in varmint barrel. My question is, will I need to re-bed my stock after putting the new barrel on?

That all depends. Is the old barrel bedded out a couple inches onto the barrel? Or, does the bedding end at the barrel lug. If it ends at the barrel lug, then you don't need to rebed it. But, if it is bedded out onto the first several inches of the barrel, then you would need to re-bed since you are using a fatter barrel.

If you plan to upgrade the recoil lug with the barrel, you should re bed.

You would not have to rebed the action, but since the new barrel has a larger diameter, there might not be clearance between the new barrel and the barrel channel in the forearm. I assume you want the barrel free-floating. You will know if the new barrel contacts the forend when you reassemble the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.