New Barrel for a 308?

kc

I am not planing to change my barrel.. I have a post concerning my accuracy troubles, its like trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.But at this time I am weighing all my options.There is to be a bunch of work on my stock, pillar and action bedding. How much money or better yet"what should I spend and what company should I go to if I were to decide on replacing my barrel(RemVLS308)?
I am geting a whole bunch of help and I appreciate all the input from this sight.
THANKS more than I can post to all of you!!
Keith.........

Keith

Take your gun to a good gunsmith, he can look at the crown, and look at the throat and barrel with a bore scope. Often a thick recoil lug and a precision crown with bedding is all you need to make that set up shoot really well. To go significantly under 1/2 MOA you are getting into territory that is usually only tread on by very well made custom guns with match grade barrels.

Having said that, I have seen several factory guns that will shoot better than 1/2 MOA. They are usually smaller calibers that do not make a lot of heat and recoil. I have seen several .308 sized guns with boss systems shoot phenominal but the guys that owned them were master handloaders and could have done things I am not aware of.

A good smith will be able to tell you if a recrown has a chance of helping your gun achieve your goals, or if there are other problems that may be easily resolved.
smile.gif

Very good advise in the previous post. I have a rifle built on a Remington action using a Remington factory S.S. Varmint barrel in 308. The barrel was a new take off from a rifle that was never fired with that barrel on it. The guy had to have a Hart so I had the smith rechamber that barrel with a short throat Plama reamer, true my action and screw it on. Bedded in a McMillan stock it shoots sub half MOA. If you want a custom barrel, I have barrels by Lilja, Krieger, and Douglas. All are very good barrels. I would buy nothing but stainless steel if it were me.

Thanks for the input guys..
As for Douglas there was one instaled on my old Springfield and I just love it. We use it for deer, any deer I can see,, well you get my point! I just finished accur-Glassed
the action and put a dab in the lug area. I was very careful not to screw things up..
there was a lot of input and advise from a lot of shooters..I will be sending it out to those Williams Boys if things dont change.
Keith...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.