New 308 win barrel

TC338

I'm thinking about replacing the factory sporter barrel on my Howa 1500. Im planning on using the rifle for deer hunting and long range shooting. I know I'm going to run a 10 twist. I'm looking for suggestions on barrel makers and contours. I have a laminate stock right now so I could open up the barrel channel a little or just order a new stock to fit a heavier contour.

I'm thinking about replacing the factory sporter barrel on my Howa 1500. Im planning on using the rifle for deer hunting and long range shooting. I know I'm going to run a 10 twist. I'm looking for suggestions on barrel makers and contours. I have a laminate stock right now so I could open up the barrel channel a little or just order a new stock to fit a heavier contour.

If you are staying with 308 winchester dont rule out 11 or 12 twist barrels.

I replaced the barrel on my Wby Vanguard. Same metric threads.

300 WSM, 260 and 223 barrels. 3 PAc-Nor barrels.

I went with the Palma profile. 28". The 5" shank will give you a set back or 2.

I replaced the barrel on my Wby Vanguard. Same metric threads.

300 WSM, 260 and 223 barrels. 3 PAc-Nor barrels.

I went with the Palma profile. 28". The 5" shank will give you a set back or 2.

What kind of accuracy are you getting? What else if anything did you change on your rifles?

What kind of accuracy are you getting? What else if anything did you change on your rifles?

Accuracy: very fine.
Stock: Boyd's thumb hole. Cleaned up, Relieved the barrel channel/floated, bedded.
Trigger: Timney, set as low as I can go.
Optics: Something good.

I have to say that the best barrel I have purchased for a 30 cal is a Rock Creek. It breaks in quickly and is very easy to clean. For a .308 I would go 24" and 10 twist. This will get you going in any direction you wish. As far as contour that is personal preference. But I like the #4. Seems to be heavy enough for consistency but light enough to hunt. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision!

try a Cut-rifled bbl there any many , get a Great gunsmith that agrees with YOUR choice , contures 4,5,0r lite Palma 1/10 a great twist but if you're gonna shoot lighter bullets go 1/11 twist your money might as well be happy! Barrel length 24 fine want more velocity go longer,26,heck mine a 28 grin, regards jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.