New and looking for something specific.

TyCrawf

Hello,

My name is Tyler, and I am new to the long range game. I have always been intrigued with bolt action, long range rifles.

As of now, I have a Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M5 with the Illuminated sight, And alot of 250-300gr. Lapua rounds.

So I guess my questions come to the following:
Is there a .338 bolt action, long range rifle, that has a positive review?

Take down feature?

Or easy to break down and store?

Oh, and of course, Is there one with a good modification platform?

Take down is justified because I do not have alot of room in my apartment. And why not lapua? lol. I have more rounds then would be acceptable to get rid of or to give away. The sight would be a cool addition to the rifle, if you have it, why not use it?

Thank you all in advanced,

Tyler

Hello,

My name is Tyler, and I am new to the long range game. I have always been intrigued with bolt action, long range rifles.

As of now, I have a Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M5 with the Illuminated sight, And alot of 250-300gr. Lapua rounds.
Nice scope for the job.

So I guess my questions come to the following:
Is there a .338 bolt action, long range rifle, that has a positive review?
Several from 1,200.00 on up, the sky is the limit.
Take down feature?
Several but extremely expensive customs only.
Or easy to break down and store?
Breaking a rifle down to store it is not necessary, and you will have accuracy issues with all but the most carefully handcrafted take downs.

Take down is justified because I do not have alot of room in my apartment. And why not lapua? lol. I have more rounds then would be acceptable to get rid of or to give away. The sight would be a cool addition to the rifle, if you have it, why not use it?
A rifle case takes up only very slightly more room in a closet or under the bed than a broom. Simply not worth it for the many thousands extra you would pay for a custom take down rifle.

Check the LRH Classifieds.

There's at least one or two .338Lapua 700p's listed; you may have to scroll through quite a few pages to find them.

Also check at Sniper's hide and Sniper Central.

If you have not already done so, I would STRONGLY suggest finding one to shoot before investing the money in one.

Most people cannot tolerate the blast or recoil, not to mention the expense of shooting one which is why you can find so many "very lightly used" models for sale with a little looking around on the internet.

Seems like a non-take down is the way to go. I got a bonus this year and seem like I need a holiday gift.

I have shot a .338, they are fun, I heard the muzzle break helps greatly, am I wrong?

Tyler

So I have come to the conclusion that a custom is the way to go.

Does anyone reccomend any good Gunsmiths and such?

Tyler

If your going custom, let me suggest this stock:XLR Industries | evolution

They offer a collapsible stock option. It is a very stream lined and will hold up to punishment due to all metal construction. If you should choose a Savage, and want to upgrade the stock, Stockade stocks is where its at.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.