New 7mm STW

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Finally finished up my 7mm STW. It started life as a Sendero, but all I really kept was the action. Did barrel breakin today and ran some over the chronograph shot out to 1023 yds. Velocity ended up being more than I expected...Right now running the 168 gr bergers at 3340 fps. Thought maybe my chrony was off today, but shooting at all distances was spot on for that velocity. Accuracy runs in the 1/2" area for all loads I have run through it today. I am going to do some more work with it next weekend and will post some group pics. The reamer was made to be able to touch the lands, and keep it a repeater. Total package weighs in at 11.5 lbs.

As a side note....the MPI stock was very light when I received it (28 oz). I was not inletted correctly and we had to add about 1/8" of glass and devcon to the floorplate area to make the trigger guard fit. After this was done and the barreled action was bedded, I still had flex in the grip area. I cut a hole in the grip and found that it was just filled with foam. I hollowed out the foam in the grip and about 1/3 of the buttstock and filled it with devcon also. Now it is very stiff. Changed the weigh to right at 2.75-2.8 lbs by the time all of the other material was added. It turned out ok, but it was alot of work to get it there. Anyway, here are the specs for now until I get some target pics up:

Remington Long Action
Broughton 5.75 contour 1-9 twist...28" long, fluted
Remington Floorplate
Rifle Basix trigger-2lbs
TPS 20 MOA steel base
MPI Tactical stock....modified
TPS Low rings
Scope level
7mm STW PTG Reamer....315 NK, .011 Freebore for the Berger 168's
Wyatts extended mag
Brownells ovenbake teflon coating
Mark 4 6.5-20x50 w/TMR Reticle (thanks BJ)
info006.jpg

mikael.....I am using H1000 right now. I started a ladder at the Barnes 175gr data max charge, and worked my way up. I am at 82.5 gr now...no pressure signs, and primer pockets are still tight. I am just touching the lands at 3.71" OAL. I might give Retumbo a try this weekend just to see if it is any different. Right now the ES is around 20, and I would like to get it lower if possible.

Thanks BJ....It turned out better than I expected. The stock took some work to get it correct, but it was worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.