new 7mm sendero are the barrels unfired!

bsb

I just bought a new 7mm sendero and I thought I would run a rag through the bore to get out factory lube etc?
well I ran rag through and it was black as coal for about 3 passes or so and the crown looks like Ray charels was on the crowning tool are these barrels factory shot for several rounds or ?
I dont remember my 300 sendero being that way last year
seems like I remeber how clean it was and how easy and smooth the wet patch went through
Thanks

Thanks links, sounds like yours is driving tacks! I did one 6 1/2" one 6 1/4" and one 5 3/8" All 5 shot groups at 670 yards I was hoping it would have been around .5 moa like the 300 rum I had. oh well they are real good shooters for factory rigs.
Thanks for reply! The inside taper (at the crown) was real rough like the cutter was jumping or vibrating (sorry I am not a gun smith) and there were some gouges and dings aound the exit hole (I guess thats the crown)I guess I got a little nervous seeing this.

That chatter mark you said inside your barrel worries me, but if your rifle is still shooting MOA and under for 5 shots, I'd say you got a decent rifle.

I had a Winchester model 70 in a 7mm STW that had about the last 4-6" of barrel with chatter marks. Well mine didn't shoot for [censored], I was lucky to get 1.5" at 100 yards. Finally shot about 1" with 180g VLD's, but by the time that came around, I already had a buyer. The guy who bought it came with a borescope and we found the problem. I was upfront with him about it, saying it wouldn't shoot better then about 1.5" with hunting loads, but with the 180g Bergers, it would do about 1". He said it was good enough for him, so he took it.

On the other hand, my other winchester model 70 is a 25-06 and its one of my most accurate rifles. Go figure...

would you take it back if you Could?
i am shooting 168 bergers and the chatter marks do worry me some

[ QUOTE ]
would you take it back if you Could?
i am shooting 168 bergers and the chatter marks do worry me some

[/ QUOTE ]

If it still bothers you, then take it back if for nothing else but the piece of mind.

If they won't take it back, Remington will replace it with a new rifle.

I have a Sen SF 7 STW and have never been happy with it. I have killed some deer and several coyotes with it at short to impressive ranges but also missed more deer with it in one and half seasons than I ever could guess. I mean go from shooting paper to hunting within two hours and miss twice, broadside at 115 yards, off a steady rest. For some reason I still have it, guessing that I will do something with it? I went to a Kimber 270 WSM and love it, killed two doe past 400 yards with it this year. Gained some confidence with that.

I called cabelas and the 30 day return policy dont apply to special orders (nice to know now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) I could have purchased the gun somewhere else cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif but I thought I would stick with cabelas since there customer service has always been second to none /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (having second thoughts now). I called Remington and talked to a guy there (Dwain)he was super nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and wants to make sure I am 100% satisfied so the gun is at Gander mountain and a smith will dial in the crown and give bill to remington.
Remington said if they would not do it(Gander mountain) then he would mail me a prepaid shipping sticker and remington would take care of it (I was impressed with Remingtons willingness to take care of it).
Oh well guess I should have checked gun out closer when I drove up to Cabelas to get it! but even then I would have been stuck with it! it still shoots decent tho.
just a little info for you guys is all I am sayin

fowbish: If the thing shoots on paper but not when your hunting then it's you not the gun. Maybe something is moving around. Who did the work on the gun? May the smith work is at fault.

red bone this is what it did before I took it in!
when I get it back I will let you know if it made a difference( I doubt it will)
I did one 6 1/2" one 6 1/4" and one 5 3/8" All 5 shot groups at 670 yards
It also did a 5 shot 1 7/8" group at 300 yrds

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.