new 7mm rem mag advice

I was curious what powders to try out..I am lookin at h1000 and rl22 so I can hopefully use one of them in my 300 wm too, but I guess ill just have to let the rifles pick what they like

Bingo! That's the way to think Brian :) Always go into load development with an open mind.

I get so sick of people asking "what is an accurate load in X caliber?" Or "what is the most accurate powder for X caliber?"

Then people get hung up on thinking only a certain powder will work in their rifle. Firearms are like people, we all have different tastes. Sometimes those tastes are the same, sometimes different. You never know til you try.

Bingo! That's the way to think Brian :) Always go into load development with an open mind.

I get so sick of people asking "what is an accurate load in X caliber?" Or "what is the most accurate powder for X caliber?"

Then people get hung up on thinking only a certain powder will work in their rifle. Firearms are like people, we all have different tastes. Sometimes those tastes are the same, sometimes different. You never know til you try.
I am SO tired of seeing those questions constantly...

Then they get mad when you try to explain to them why that's a stupid question.

Another one that ****es me off is when people want to be cheap and not buy a manual for the bullets they plan on shooting. It's really irritating.

I asked for load data maybe 2 times, but that was while my manual was en-route from Berger to my house.

Im definitely the kind of person that will read thru manuals or online load data samples to try long before i actually purchase half of the items..i have a hornady manual that came with my reloading kit ive all but worn out the pages and have looked at noslers data as well cuz ive long been eyeing up the lrab if it shoots or nbt/ab if thats all i can find..im kind of a nerd when it comes to tinkering with all of my gear guns or bows, so creating a load tailored to my guns will be a blast.. I have a plan for what id like ti use based on convenience between guns, but until i make alot of noise and burn some powder i cant say what ill end up with..hopefully my rifles arent like women or ill never get a load to work consistantly haha

Im definitely the kind of person that will read thru manuals or online load data samples to try long before i actually purchase half of the items..i have a hornady manual that came with my reloading kit ive all but worn out the pages and have looked at noslers data as well cuz ive long been eyeing up the lrab if it shoots or nbt/ab if thats all i can find..im kind of a nerd when it comes to tinkering with all of my gear guns or bows, so creating a load tailored to my guns will be a blast.. I have a plan for what id like ti use based on convenience between guns, but until i make alot of noise and burn some powder i cant say what ill end up with..hopefully my rifles arent like women or ill never get a load to work consistantly haha
You would be better off using regular Accubonds...You can find them, and the BC's of the LRAB's is a joke. They're not realistic to the bullet's ACTUAL tested BC. We had a member on here do a test...The Bergers were accurate as to their BC, and the LRAB's proved to be inflated in several calibers and weights.

So, don't believe everything you read that a manufacturer tries to tell you. Remember, the big conglomerate companies like that are only out to get your money.

99.9% of the members here aren't sponsors. And I have yet to see any sponsors on here steer anyone wrong to make a buck. These are good folks here, and they are all here to help, not to take your money and fill your brain with BS.....Other than those occasional ones that slip through the cracks that say outlandish things, like, that you're shooting 160gr bullets in a 7mmSTW over 4,000 fps....That's impossible no matter who you are or what you shoot.

Good info! I have enough quite a few diff bullets in the 150-168 range id like to try out..all have +/- .500 bc with for the shooting I do is plenty

I am late for this post about cold weather ignition but I think cold weather rounds that do not fire are mainly caused by grease on the firing pin spring freezing or becoming very thick and heavy causing a weak strike by the pin.
Before my family gets ready to hunt in the cold, we strip the bolts down and clean them and oil them lightly.
Maybe a possibility?

I purchased LRAB (150gr .277) from a member for less than the cost of NAB because it did not meet their expectations but it meets mine. :cool:

I had no problems with 7828 SSC firing with a Fed 215 primer in 10-15 degree weather this past January during deer season. Maybe you weren't using a hot enough or a bad batch of primers...

I was shooting a 30-06 with CCI BR2 primers. I us my had any problems wih the bench rest primers, but maybe the imr 4831 and large rifle primers are a poor combo. Maybe it needs magnum primers?!?!

I was shooting a 30-06 with CCI BR2 primers. I us my had any problems wih the bench rest primers, but maybe the imr 4831 and large rifle primers are a poor combo. Maybe it needs magnum primers?!?!

A good rule of thumb is that if you are using over 60gr of powder, or will be hunting in weather below freezing, or both, use a Magnum primer.

Being that I live in Montana, I use Magnum primers in all my hunting rifles. Federal GM215M to be exact. Even with Magnum primers, I still have had one misfire, but thankfully it was when I was trying to finish off a Mule deer buck that was not dying as fast as I thought to be humane.
Gun went "click". I counted to TEN-ONE THOUSAND while keeping the barrel in a safe direction, ejected the round, verified primer was properly struck (it was), then I threw the round as far as I possibly could down the mountain while taking cover behind a tree. Loaded another round and finished the buck off.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.