new 7mm rem mag advice

but money to buy more stuff isnt an option for the time..got a future sniper on the way in august, so funds are tight for awhile.

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy! I too thank you for your service to our great nation.

Not sure if this is your first child but congrats to both and enjoy your blessing.

As you already know, you can get overwhelmed with recommendations. Having a family, will forever change your life. If you're like us, my wife and I's schedule revolved around our two sons (now 25 (1LT in the USAF and 22 (senior in U of A)) along with 8 permanent change of stations (2 of which are overseas assignment) and multiple deployments in my 20+ year in the USAF.

As much as I love shooting and hunting, my "family" always comes first. Being a Dad is one of the many blessings I have and I will never trade it for anything.

About 2 years ago, my oldest son bought me a Leica 1600 RF for my birthday; now just imagine how that made me feel. :)

Again, welcome and good luck with your future sniper.

Ed

Brian- my friends and i have several senderos of various calibers. it is the rifle all others are compared to. In 7mm i use re-19 mostly ( i would say H-1000 has more following on here though) , and 168 bergers. i found the recoil with 180 more than i wanted for my purpose and i have a 300 win mag with 210s. i use wlrm primers and nosler brass. i have brakes on all my magnums. also i adjust all the triggers( it is easy google remington crisp) and i have 5 shilen and one jewell. Enjoy shooting and the new baby. Thanks for your service . roninflag

Thanks for all the advice amd things to look for.. it is my first child so itll be a huge change..so without saying he will come first, and when I can im going to get as much trigger time and if money goes good he'll have his first deer rifle before kindergarten haha

Not that anybody cares, I really like H4831 and 160gr accubonds. I killed a nice for MT blackbear at 40 yards and a nice for anywhere whitetail at 784yds with the same load, both 1 shot kills. For the elk, I limited the range to 450 yards just to make myself feel more confident. 6 different elk with the same load.
I really like my 7mm. I hope you do too.
Congrats on the new guppy.
Semper Fi
John

As for your scope, it will work just fine. Eventually, you will probably get to the point where you feel he need to upgrade it on your own though.

The Sendero's are awesome rifles. You won have a problem there.

Now your loads: SMK's have a thicker copper jacket than the game king bullets. How thick? You might ask. I took a smk and a gk bullet to a grinding wheel and cut them in half. I can't tell the difference between the jackets. And keep in mind that both Barnes and Hornady make a solid copper bullet for hunting. You do have a hollow point at the front of the smk that isn't real big but it is enough to start expansion.

Popular powders are hodgdon and alliant. R22 is highly recommended as well as Retumbo. Those would be my first two choices. You probably won't find either for sale right now though. Imr4350, H4350, imr 7828, H1000, H338 are all used with good results as well.

Not that anybody cares, I really like H4831 and 160gr accubonds.
John

With H4831 do they put Nitro in it for temperature stability? I was using the IMR Variety on a late season mule deer hunt. It was about -10 outside and none of the cartridges in my rifle went off. Luckily I had a few in my jacket pocket. After three clicks that felt like a million misfires in a row. I took the rest of the cold rounds and heated them up in my arm pits and the certainly did go off after they got warmer.

With H4831 do they put Nitro in it for temperature stability? I was using the IMR Variety on a late season mule deer hunt. It was about -10 outside and none of the cartridges in my rifle went off. Luckily I had a few in my jacket pocket. After three clicks that felt like a million misfires in a row. I took the rest of the cold rounds and heated them up in my arm pits and the certainly did go off after they got warmer.

Cold weather instability would be a killer for me since ill be hunting in new york and it wont be -10 hopefully but cold none the less

I had no problems with 7828 SSC firing with a Fed 215 primer in 10-15 degree weather this past January during deer season. Maybe you weren't using a hot enough or a bad batch of primers...

My family and I all shoot H4831, mine in a 7mmrm and my son, daughter and wife shoot 270win.
We have all hunted in temps below 0 degrees and the worst hunt I have been on was -26 degrees f.
I shot a whitetail that day (-26) at over 700 yards confirmed by a leica rf and the lrm primer and the H4831 didn't hiccup.
My daughter shot an elk at about 0 degrees with her 270win lr primer and H4831 and it performed fine.
I killed a bear at about 85 degrees with the same load and it worked well.
I don't use the ballistic tables and all the technology that is used for real long range hunting, so I am not sure how much temp affects our loads.
All I can say is I have great confidence in H4831.

My family and I all shoot H4831, mine in a 7mmrm and my son, daughter and wife shoot 270win.
We have all hunted in temps below 0 degrees and the worst hunt I have been on was -26 degrees f.
I shot a whitetail that day (-26) at over 700 yards confirmed by a leica rf and the lrm primer and the H4831 didn't hiccup.
My daughter shot an elk at about 0 degrees with her 270win lr primer and H4831 and it performed fine.
I killed a bear at about 85 degrees with the same load and it worked well.
I don't use the ballistic tables and all the technology that is used for real long range hunting, so I am not sure how much temp affects our loads.
All I can say is I have great confidence in H4831.

H4831SC is my go to powder for many of my loads; excellent for the Montana adverse weather condition. lightbulb

I agree with Mudrunner2005,
That was probably more of a primer issue than it was a powder issue.

After doing alot of reading on here over the years, I've noticed alot of people discussing this issue, and most were having issues with really compressed loads with really slow burning powders not lighting with a non-magnum primer in really cold temps. Alot of the times the really experienced guys (who've hunted alot in sub-zero temps) were recommending to re-work up a load using Fed 215 primers since they're about the hottest primers on the list.

I was curious what powders to try out..I am lookin at h1000 and rl22 so I can hopefully use one of them in my 300 wm too, but I guess ill just have to let the rifles pick what they like

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.