New 338 lapua

snox801

Alright I decided to burn up my cabelas points and get a new savage 111 long range hunter. This is how it came about. I ordered a 338 AM almost two year wait. So to pass my time I decided to get this as I had enough points. I also wanted to use it for practice shooting and a backup rifle for hunting. The glass is the Leopold vx 7 3.5-14 for now as it came on a gun that was bought at a safari club auction. Now to make the feel closer to the Am I ordered the xlr evolution HD stock. Gonna work up some loads this fall. Just thought I'd show off my new toy. Best part is I only parted with about $850 to complete it with the stock.

Attachments

• NCM_0386.JPG
    NCM_0386.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 61
Keep us posted with your load work. Im currently reloading for the same savage 338 and am having a hard time finding a load it likes with 300 elite hunters and h1000

Will do I'm starting with berger 300gr and h1000 only cause I have lots of it. I'l post updatez as time and weather permit. Between deer season and this terrible weather we are getting it may be slow.

Reloader 33 seems to be the go to powder for the Lapua. I tried Retumbo, US869 and H1000 in my 338 Lapua IMP. The Reloader 33 gave way more velocity and less pressure. We tested at 1000 yards off a bench and the R33 was way more accurate also. The H1000 was the second best but I couldn't get the velocity without the pressure. The Reloader 33 shot 5 shot groups in the 4 to 5 inch range and the H1000 shot 8 to 9 inches. Matt

In my 338 Lapua

I moose hunted with it this year a Rem 700P

With leupold 8.5x24 MK 4 with M5 turrents in MK 4 leupold Tactical base and ARMS low rings

I use Hornady Brass with Reloader 33 and Nosler 300 gr Accubonds with WLRM primers

I have found RL 33 works real good with heavier 300 Grain bullets.

RL 22 seems to work real well with 250 grain bullets.

I have tried RL 25, Retumbo, Mag Pro and H1000.......with 300 gr and my rifle prefers RL 33.

Savages are known to have a tight chamber after firing if you have a problem with the bolt closing after resizing the brass just buy a Chamber polishing brush and use drill with good machine oil and polish your chamber will cure this. I had to it with my 700P.

also suggest to get a good neck sizing die only this extend the life of your brass

H1000 works real good in 300 Winchester Mag with sierra 250 MK and Berger 230 OTM

[/QUOTE]I use Hornady Brass with Reloader 33
Savages are known to have a tight chamber after firing if you have a problem with the bolt closing after resizing the brass just buy a Chamber polishing brush and use drill with good machine oil and polish your chamber will cure this. I had to it with my 700P.
also suggest to get a good neck sizing die

The Hornady brass is not near the brass that the Lapua Brass is. The Lapua brass will take a lot more firings. Also I would not recommend a neck die. I would full length and bump the shoulders .002. If you anneal every couple of firings the brass will last forever. If you have trouble with bolt closing after sizing you probably didn't bump the shoulder enough. Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.