New .338 Cal. Bullets Coming

Kirby, I check two 50 count boxes of different lot numbers tonight (300 SMK) and found in box 1 46 that were +/- .0005 and 2 that were +.001 and 2 were +.0015. I thought I was doing something wrong so I marked the bottoms, put them back in the box and shook them up and remeasured. I ended up with the same 4. Box 2 was 45 +/-.0005 and the other 5 were no larger than .002. Mitutoyo calipers and Davidson gages.

I once had a box of 210 gr. 30 cal. bergers that had one 6mm 105gr. mixed in. I did count the 210's and had exactly 100. I said oh well! every once in a while some one asks what I have that 6mm sitting on my bench for. I just tell them that I don't have the money yet to buy a 6mm rifle to shoot it out of. any one of you who might want a single 105 gr. is welcome to it. you just have to pay shippinghttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile! I was wondering if maybe it was a form of advertising, you know, we'll just throw a couple random bullets out there maybe someone will say hey, I got a gun in that caliber, I'll load her up! just jokinghttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking. I don't have as much experience as the rest of you, but I have not found very many real inconsisteties with the bullets I've used, at least no more than my human error accounts for in my shootinghttp://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif
Red face.

The Sierra MK's have been of such poor quality control most of the knowledgeable shooters, the guys who really know how to handload at our club, are abandoning Sierra products in droves. Most are shooting custom bullets, or A-maxes, some are having good success with Nosler. Sierra has poor control of their ogive to base dimensions, and at least 10 percent of the bullet tips are completely screwed up. It seems to me if you like shooting more than sorting and culling bullets, common sense would dictate shooting a different brand.

Like Crow Mag I dream of heavier match bullets with aggressive ogives and polymer tips. Superhigh ballistic coefficients and properly tapered jackets is what cultural long-range shooters really need.

A buddy of mind was using his chronograph to test some new Sierra .223 bullets a few weeks ago, and his velocity is were varying over 1400 fps. We started weighing random bullets and discovered that many of the bullets in this box of 500 had no lead cores inserted in the jackets. For those of you who would like to claim that Sierra has any control much less quality control, please save your breath. Many shooters who live in Missouri have had a natural loyalty to Sierra, because they are a Missouri Company. The fact remains their products lag behind many competitors in both technology and quality assurance.

Sierra has made a strategic choice to serve the high-power community, one can only hope that someday they will see the market potential of a true long-range hunting bullet.

That is very funny and you are really showing your knowledge of the industry and sport here LOL. Do not know what axe you have to grind but your post is one of most ignorant that I have seen in a long time. For what it's worth, it did make me laugh when I read it.

What is even more amusing is that this year I finished in the top 5 and last year won the Missouri 1K BR for score and shot a range record (using the bullets without the cores) since you brought up Missouri thought you might find that interesting.

Have A Nice Day!

DWM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.