New .308 Brass

Gizmo

I have been trying to figure this out when i re size new Remington brass with lee full length sizing die i am getting a small ring around the web above the case head. Just wondering could the die be crushing the case too much i have no problem with the case being chambering or ejecting. When i fire a round i have a more noticeable ring around the web. The case is loaded with 42.2 gr of IMR 3031 thats not the max load. The press is a Lee classic Cast single stage and my powder scales are 1010 scales, i use check weights to assure they are right. Any help would be appreciated thanks

run your brass through a case gage. if it is pushed too far, then it will not be right in the gage
it should be within spec in the gage

I can't see your cases from here so I can't be positive but I suspect your "bright ring" is normal burnishing at the point they begin to permanetly expand and resizing stops; don't worry about it.

As a side issue about your dies, I've actually measured the work from a good number of our various die brands. They ALL let an occasional clunker out but they ALL replace defective ones. I found that, on average, Lee's dies are as good - or better - than any other common brand (and their collet neck dies are about as good as neck dies get, at any price.) Anyone wishing to argue that needs to bring along some hard data from actual measurments from a statistically valid number of dies, not just one set or based on "I know a guy who's cousin's neighbor once said his daddy told him...", etc. Fact is, ALL dies are inside reamed to SAAMI specs, no more, no less. And it's the insides that do the work, shiney exteriors and neat knurling are pretty but they are only eye candy.

In my tests, ONLY Forster BR dies, and Redding's Competion copies, were consistantly a bit "better" (more concentric) in the ammo they produced.

The RCBS (Ohaus made) 1010 scale is THE "par excellance" reloading scale. Mine is as dead on accurate and sensitive now as it was the day I took it out of the box (as a Lyman M-5) in '65. And I fully expect it to be so in the future.

Last edited:
I can't see your cases from here so I can't be positive but I suspect your "bright ring" is normal burnishing at the point they begin to permanetly expand and resizing stops; don't worry about it.

As a side issue about your dies, I've actually measured the work from a good number of our various die brands. They ALL let an occasional clunker out but they ALL replace defective ones. I found that, on average, Lee's dies are as good - or better - than any other common brand (and their collet neck dies are about as good as neck dies get, at any price.) Anyone wishing to argue that needs to bring along some hard data from actual measurments from a statistically valid number of dies, not just one set or based on "I know a guy who's cousin's neighbor once said his daddy told him...", etc. Fact is, ALL dies are inside reamed to SAAMI specs, no more, no less. And it's the insides that do the work, shiney exteriors and neat knurling are pretty but they are only eye candy.

In my tests, ONLY Forster BR dies, and Redding's Competion copies, were consistantly a bit "better" (more concentric) in the ammo they produced.

The RCBS (Ohaus made) 1010 scale is THE "par excellance" reloading scale. Mine is as dead on accurate and sensitive now as it was the day I took it out of the box (as a Lyman M-5) in '65. And I fully expect it to be so in the future.

If i can figure out how to post a picture on here i will so you can see. Thanks for the comments from from everyone. And i love the 1010 scale.

Last edited:

Best picture i could get left one is the once fired case right one is new Remington Brass resized and not fired. Unfired case you can see the ring around the web. When i fire factory rounds i don't see this. Thanks

the rcbs 1010 scale is a very accurate one - i have used it for years even with having a digital scale now
the lee dies are ok but as stated above you can get a bad one now and again.
on the long run the forster and redding are awsome - i would also add the dillon pistol dies
i still use rcbs overwelmingly though and will not change this fact - good value for the money - i have used others as well, lee, rcbs, dillon, rcbs competition, redding, forster
lee will prob. take care of you

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.