New 308

KPB71

Just picked up a Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD <<< free. Would like to make it a Varmint gun would like to shoot the 125gr NBT. any thoughts on the gun and bullet load data? will be adding a Timmey trigger #510

You need a slower twist to stabilize 125s. Also, that bullet has a low BC so it will start losing velocity and energy quickly once you start getting down range. I would look into a 155-168gr bullet, will have less drop and perform better at extended ranges.

Really Jud96, he needs a slower twist rate? Sure optimal is 1 in 17 for a 125 gr bullet. Any twist ever offered with a 308 win will stabilize a 125 gr bullet. IMO it can't be over stabilized by a faster twist. The BR guys might specify a slower twist for absolute accuracy. I'd say try it and see. That 125 nos bt can also be used on big game.

If you want more explosive results you could always try a 110 Sierra varminter. Hodgdon's site says you can get over 3300 fps!

You will be fine with the 125 gr bullets. But for varmints I would give the Speer 125 TNT a try. It is a varmint bullet. The 125 BT is a light game bullet meaning deer size game. I have shot the 125 BT for a number of years in different 30 cals and as long as you keep your impact velocity under 3000 fps it is AWESOME on deer out to a little over 300 yards so far. I have not shot any over that yardage with the 125 BT. My deer load for my 308 Win is WW case, CCI-BR primer, 46 grs IMR 4895, 125 BT. Out of my 21 1/2" tight neck Heart barrel Rem 700 it does 3000 fps and shoots bug holes. BANG FLOPS deer. I have shot the 125 TNT out of my 30x47 10 twist rifle at 2850 fps and it is really accurate and the one ground hog that I shot right at 200 yards exploded, almost cut it in half.

Really Jud96, he needs a slower twist rate? Sure optimal is 1 in 17 for a 125 gr bullet. Any twist ever offered with a 308 win will stabilize a 125 gr bullet. IMO it can't be over stabilized by a faster twist. The BR guys might specify a slower twist for absolute accuracy. I'd say try it and see. That 125 nos bt can also be used on big game.

If you want more explosive results you could always try a 110 Sierra varminter. Hodgdon's site says you can get over 3300 fps!

Yeah really, neighbor guy attempted to shoot 125s in a TC with a 1-10 twist and what resulted were 2" groups at a 100yds. This was from one of the MOA approved rifles. He needs at least a 1-14 to be optimal. I would not suggest anything under 150gr especially for a 1-10 twist. I've seen a lot of these super duper .308 varmint loads shoot minute of deer groups because factory rifles don't have a slow enough twist. I don't see the point in such a low BC bullet for varmints, but that's me and I also want my varmint rifles to shoot one hole and surely not 2"!

I don't want to be disagreeable but there are so many variables with your friend's handloaded ammo and his TC that it would take quite a control to unravel why his rifle wouldn't shoot the 125s.

I had a 1 in 7 twist 7 rem mag that shot lighter bullets. Also a 6mm-284 with a 1 in 7.5 twist and 55 nos bt. Neither had issues with accuracy.

You don't need a slower twist to stabilize 125 grain bullets. That said, in several 308 Winchesters, I've never had the best accuracy with other than 168 grain bullets. The 168 grain bullets will kill varmints just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.