New .257 barrel

feelinducky

I want to build a .257 Weatherby on a Remington 700 action. I'm hoping someone can help me with deciding on the right twist rate. I've never built a rifle before so I'm not sure of the exact questions to ask about twist rate. I do have a smith that will be putting it together for me when I'm ready. In weatherby fashion I would like to get as much velocity out of it as possible. Yes I know accuracy over velocity is better. In the mean time how do I decide which twist 1-9 1-10 or 1-12?

Question number 2: Velocity difference between 24" and 26". It seems that the published data on velocity is ususally based upon a 26" barrel. I'll be using this as a hunting rifle with max distance 400-500yds for deer antelope or hogs.

Question 3: Which contour to go with? I will be doing alot of hiking and while hunting. I'm thinking a "standard contour" but pac nor and Krieger have different numbers ie countour #2 or #3. Which countour is "standard"?

Thanks for the help

Your 3 answers, go with the 10 twist no need to shoot bullets from the roy heavier than 120grn, second the 26" is worth 75-100fps with that caliber, third use a light varmint contour or the #5.

my build goes like this. Rem 700 257 weatherby, Hart # 5 spiral flute 26" barrel, sako extractor, 3 position safety, mcmillan edge stock in desert camo, matte black cerekote on all metal, Basix trigger, talley stainless bases and rings.
Will be done in time for my rifle goat hunt next october:)

26" number 5 contour 10" twist barrel is what I would choose for a walking gun. I would use a standard Weatherby chamber also and I would try the 110 Nosler Accubond and the 115 Nosler Partition H-1000 and IMR 7828 and Retumbo powders to see which did best.

My hunting buddy, which never keeps any gun long, built a 257 Weatherby on an 700 Rem mag action that had a wore out rechambered from 7mm Rem mag to 7 STW barrel. He picked up a brand new never fired take off fluted SS Remington Sendero barrel that was in 10" twist 25-06. Some fellow bought a new Rem Sendero and pulled the barrel off to use to make a custom barreled rifle. He had the barrel rechambered to 257 Weatherby. It was back when you could get H-870 powder. It was a real shooter with 117 Sierra bullets. It was used as a bean field deer rifle in east NC. He used it a deer season and sold it off to finance his next fancy that struck him which was a #5 27 3/4" Shilen barrel 264 Win mag on a 700 Rem action that I now own. It is a shooter also.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.