Nevada Bull

What rifle and Caliber were you using ? Sorry to hear that you had to hit it that many times but I am glad you did the job - I have seen to many rushed shots and suffering animals from nervous shooters with animals that have got away - I tracked a Camel for 5Klm that was shot by a young shooter who rushed a shot and eventually got it so long story short - use a projectile that drops them first shot like Sierra Game Kings

Just took my first Bull 2 days ago here in Nevada. Tough conditions and lack of elk was making it rough. What elk we could spot were high around 9000ft. This bull showed up out of nowhere hanging out with some horses, and I was able to make it happen. It was one hell of a pack out with just me and my dad in the dark at 8°F, so grateful and a hunt Ill never forget.

(6.5x284 with 140 Berger VLDs)

View attachment 224861View attachment 224862
Congratulations on your bull

Farther then I've ever shot before, 4 shots , 434 was the first shot it hit him in front of the the shoulder base of the neck, (that was my fault). Didn't really react much ran to 511 where I hit him high shoulder and he dropped. He rolled over with his head and shoulder up which made me nervous so I hit him twice more it the front shoulder high. Not my best work if I'm being honest but I didn't want him getting up.
Keep hitting them until they don't get up. Good job.

How do the 140s perform on elk? Lots of meat damage? Decent penetration?

Surprised me on both sides, found 3 of the 4 rounds the 3 in the photo were in a pattern almost exactly like shown. The top being the one that hit spine and dropped him leaving a baseballish sized hole in the spine with a golf ball sized hole through the backstrap. The 2 lower put quarter sized holes through the front shoulders. All 3 were found in the offside hide. The one through the neck exited leaving virtually no damage. Very minimal meat loss.
20201112_152451.jpg

Very nice Sir. Here's a pic of my Son's Nevada Bull from a few years ago. He had warmer weather than you did! It was also a great Father/Son adventure and we'll remember it always. Like you, he used a 6.5-284, but with the 140 grain A-Max before they were discontinued. Too bad, because we've used them on Pronghorn, this Bull and a nice mature Muley Buck and they performed perfectly every time. He's switched to the 147-ELD-M's now and they seem good too, so far. Congratulations!

Attachments

• Rick's Bull.JPG
    Rick's Bull.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 149
Very nice Sir. Here's a pic of my Son's Nevada Bull from a few years ago. He had warmer weather than you did! It was also a great Father/Son adventure and we'll remember it always. Like you, he used a 6.5-284, but with the 140 grain A-Max before they were discontinued. Too bad, because we've used them on Pronghorn, this Bull and a nice mature Muley Buck and they performed perfectly every time. He's switched to the 147-ELD-M's now and they seem good too, so far. Congratulations!

Thank you, Congratulations aswell, thats a beautiful bull, memories to last a lifetime. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Great bull, memorable adventure with your Dad! My first elk was a spike, felt like it was a world record to me. Still does no matter critter God blesses me with. The tougher the pack out the sweeter the meat! Although at my age I'm pack'n a little slower now🤪
Hope you have many more adventures with your Dad, wonderful treasures to remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.