Need youre advice Win M70 270WSM

yes just google MG Arms Inc, they are awsome to deal with, they are nice down to earth Texas people.
Order the Kevlar/fiberglass stock, $100 more than fiberglass, but you will love it, neat stock colors, Iam having a 300wsm done in military zebra and the 270wsm will be in snow zebra.

I promise you if more people sent them a gun, once they got it back they would send em every gun they have..........the Model 70 has a great trigger, they did a trigger job on mine and it is crisp at 2.5#.
Probably will have them build me a lightweight 270wsm for my goat hunt in 2013.

Dont know if I want to make it any shorter Just thought that maybe I should go above the 24" to maybe a 26". I never lay down and shoot most of the time im sitting in a stand shootinf off of sand bags or sitting shooting off of bipods but I will definately check out the Shrewd. Is it considered to be one of the quieter Breaks? Thanks for thi info and take care.
I sure like it, I never even think of ear protection shooting the .260. I've got my 7mm STW in getting an "inspection" right now to decide if I'll leave it in it's current configuration for now or go ahead and start on the rebuild custom. I'll be putting a Shrewd on it as well.

I'm debating right now but I may try the PRI on the new M70 300 win. It's a design I really like but haven't tried yet. Like the Shrewd it's priced right so even if I don't love it, I haven't lost much.

If you want to go longer then I'd suggest 26" and something like the Coyote or Sendero Taper as they just look "right" and perform very well. I won't waste my time or money any more on a whippy barrel in anything I intend to shoot over 500yds. Why buy more aggravation, right?

You might see if you can just order one of the coyote light stocks or look at one of the kevlar/composite blends that are on the market and that will offset the additional barrel weight.

It probably isn't a good idea to have your factory barrel fluted, it will not be as straight as it was to begin with. Custom barrels are heat treated to relieve the stress of fluting. As for the brake, I have a shrewd precision varmit brake on my .220 swift. Deafening is the only word I have for it. If you don't need ear protection for a braked rifle, you are probably hard of hearing anyways. If you want to watch bullet impacts in the scope, reduce recoil so you can get back on target faster. Muzzle brake, heavier gun, lighter bullets, or less flinching will all help you see more impacts.

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming the wheels in my head are turning. LOL!

Im gonna check out several breaks has anybody had any experience with the Gentry break?

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming the wheels in my head are turning. LOL!

Im gonna check out several breaks has anybody had any experience with the Gentry break?
It's a good effective brake, but unfortunately it's a 360 discharge so if you shoot from the prone with it you'll start quite the dust storm.

It probably isn't a good idea to have your factory barrel fluted, it will not be as straight as it was to begin with. Custom barrels are heat treated to relieve the stress of fluting.
So is there some reason the smith who does the work cannot have the barrel heat or cryo treated after?

As for the brake, I have a shrewd precision varmit brake on my .220 swift. Deafening is the only word I have for it. If you don't need ear protection for a braked rifle, you are probably hard of hearing anyways.
I would hold that the opposite is true. If you consider the Shrewd to be deafening you must be extremely hyper sensitive. As long as you are behind the gun when it is fired it's a very minor rapport. Heck even my wife who is very blast sensitive loves to shoot the .260 which wears one.

after having the super elimnator put on my 300wsm and how quiet it is wll brake my next wsm no matter the caliber.

I would think that a barrel fluted by a smith with a good reputation and experience wouldnt have any accuracy problems and I will definately check the Eliminator out as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.