need advice

road warrior

I'm no strangerto long range hunting but I.m getting more interested in ultra long range hunting.I'm resurching getting a new custom rifle built.Thinking of a 408 Chey Tac.Any info on that caliber would be a big help.I was going to go with a BAT action havent decided on a barrel or stock yet.I live in B.C.Canada so I cant hunt with fmj'sAnything else avalible.

The 408 Chey-Tac is a round that is struggling for existence, and the long term prognosis does not look good.

Interest is waining and they go from manufacturer to manufacturer, trying to get cases made.

There is no interest in the components side of the industry to supply .408 products, other than Chey-Tac, which leaves you in a lurch if they go belly up, which is a very real possibility.

You might consider the .338 Lapua. Great brass available, and it will do anything the .408 will do against critters, wide choice of bullets, and in rifles that are within reason, and VERY well made.

I've never been a big fan of Bat actions , no particular reason just never thought much about them.

I'd use a Lawton action and probably go with the 338-408CT chamber , that way you can use a wider range of bullets that are desgined for hunting. Their are couple smiths here that have built on this round and have had good success.

Pete,
At this time there are no expanding bullets for the 408 caliber, that i know of. Wildcat bullets has a set of dies on order for it, but still nothing. My first choice is the 338 wildcat on the 408 case i call mine the "338 snipe-tac", just shy of 9000# of muzzel energy with the 300 sierra MK bullet. It will hold sub MOA groups out past 1500yds. (velocity up into the 3400's) My second choice on the 408 case would be a 375cal, they are very promising as well. All of these you have a wide range of bullets to choose from.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.