Need to gear up to reload 300 RUM...New guy questions?

Gooseblitz

Hey guys I need to get myself outfitted to start reloading....I haven't done it since I was a kid helping my dad.
I was wondering the best place or best classifieds online to find some good deals from experienced fellas upgrading and selling old stuff.
I guess I'll start scouring all the forums I use. Any ideas you have feel free to let me know.
I'm trying to figure how much to set aside to get my self rolling.

Thanks for the help.

I'm reloading 300 RUM for the first time, as a favor to a friend who helped me build my fence. I purchased a modified case for my OAL gage and 2 shell holders from midway (cheap) and a forster 2 die set from midsouth (best price). I also purchased a box of 180 ballistic tips and 180 accubonds from midway, in addition to a box of 180 TSX. My hope is to work up a load with the ballistic tips that will also work for the accubonds. The TSX is a different story of course.

I really don't recommend buying used dies. Dies should always be purchased new. You don't know the history of used dies and there is always a reason someone is selling their dies...

My friend has 120 pieces of 1x fired brass from his factory ammo. The power level 1 brass has not even stretched to the trim length yet! I'm using my standard prep process for the mouth, primer pocket, flash hole and neck.

I'm going to use Retumbo powder for these loads. From what I've read, the 180gr bullets and retumbo are a good pairing for the 300 RUM. My friend's rifle is a stock 700 CDL, except for the trigger job I did, adjusting from 7Lbs (factory setting) to 3 Lbs.

My plan is to clean the gun really good with boretech and wipeout before starting test loads, and keep the rifle secure on a bullsbag and rear sandbag, firing at 150yards, 2 shots at a time then cooling (not counting at least 3 foulers). It should be a good excercise for my friend to shoot some real groups and I'm sure we'll have a good improvement over casual shooting with factory ammo...

Redding Big Boss or UltraMag press, Redding bushing die set with competition seater, RCBS ChargeMaster Combo powder meter, Imperial sizing wax, Wilson case trimmer, Lee AutoPrime, Sinclair catalog. Glen Zediker's "Handloading for Competition" is available from Sinclair. Reloading manuals.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts